The $147.25 Caramel

Friday I was munching on a Licorice-flavored caramel when it developed a "hard spot".

The "hard spot" proved to be a dental crown :-(

Fortunately there was no other damage, and no decay, so the dentist cleaned up the interface and glued it back on today... total charge $147.25.

The dentist admitted to recently having a case where he couldn't get a crown to release.

He solved to problem by softening a Jolly Rancher in warm water, sticking it to the crown, then hardening it with air spray, then pulling... came right off ;-) ...Jim Thompson

    ...Jim Thompson
   |    mens     |
  |     et      |

That is kind of funny. I am in the process of getting a root canal- post - crown done right now. I had my post and temporary crown installed Wednesday and Saturday I ate a peice of candy like a bone head and the temporary crown pulled right off then I crunched it. Fortunately the dentist said I can wait till the permanent crown comes in so I now basically have a metal stump for on of my lower molars.

Reply to
brent

Lucky you, I bit a on chip of bone and broke a tooth, cost $750. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I did that in 2009, but I think it only cost me around $450... but I just broke off a corner. ...Jim Thompson

A movie popcorn cost me over $6000.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Wow! What happened? Did you break a bridge?

I'm fine today, except for a little soreness... they scraped and sanitized the gum-line before seating the crown. ...Jim Thompson

When I smoked, I regularly bit off the pipe stems. ...Jim Thompson

Maybe I was warped as well... I'd be leaning over a breadboard, soldering iron in hand, biting down on the pipe stem to keep it from falling out of my mouth... crunch :-( ...Jim Thompson

Once I bit a 500 Ohm 10 watt ceramic resistor.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

That was just my warped sense of humor replying with something on topic :-)

Reply to
Tom Biasi

When younger I used to open beer bottles with my teeth. Then I learned that teeth can actually break... not by experience thankfully. I still have all that I intended to keep.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

A correction; The first crown (caused by the bone chip) was over thirty years ago, and cost only $450 not $750. I have not had a bit of trouble that would make me think I have a crown. 5 or 6 years ago I had 2 crowns, each cost $750, those things hurt for two years before settling down. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

        ...Jim Thompson
    Mikek
     ...Jim Thompson

After the crown?

Reply to
brent

Generally I've had a root canal on the "remains" before applying the crown... thus no pain, but lots of $$ :-( ...Jim Thompson

EWWWW!!! That stuff is older than Jim!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Was there ever any question? You design Electronics, how can you be anything else? :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Wimp! Let us know when they are at least 600W and finned aluminum.! :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

$450 in 1983 dollars would be about $1036.87 today, adjusting for inflation.

Reply to
mpm

Cracked a molar right in half. It was weakened by an earlier root canal. The remaining part gave off-center support to a crown, so it kept falling off. I didn't want to destroy the perfect teeth next to it for a bridge, so an implant was the only choice.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Two of a kind make a twisted pair.