TFT clocking behaviour?

Looking at many lcd panels it seems their interfaces boils down to:

Vertical sync Horisontal sync Pixel clock R-G-B data in N number of bits.

Some use UL/DL on their "RGB" pins. I have no info on what this means.

If such screen looses data connection, but not power. Will the image remain?

And is this true for LCD, STN, DSTN, OLED aswell?

Reply to
pbdelete

To my experience, no. The image fades away within a second or two. The TFT-s seem to store the data on their gate capacitance (the latter being just a guess based on the preceeding observation).

Many of the newer SVGA and up (and some smaller) use LVDS to serially transport the signals you already saw, designing in a buffer may be a good idea (many TFT modules have very short market life).

Neither do I. Those I used have had normal TTL voltage levels (upper limit being 3.3 V determined rather than 5, though). Perhaps this refers to some upper/lower display half or something.

Dimiter

snipped-for-privacy@spamnuke.ludd.luthdelete.se.> Looking at many lcd panels it seems their interfaces boils down to:

Reply to
Didi

some monitors support a simple serial protocol to allow the OS to read its firmware info so that it can identify it.

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Hi

DL means Data Lower Display, DU means Data Upper Display

The module clock data in with the principle of interlacing like a television. So data for line 1 is clocked in the same time as data for line 241 (for a 640 line display)

When you stop datatransfer the display is gone immedeately (glow time of 10-20ms)

See this datasheet for info on a common old-style display

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

Usually Data enable as well, indicating the active region of the display. a few panels use this as a combined h/vsync and ignore the other sync signals.

No, and the screen may be damaged by DC bias if left with power on and no clocks

Mostly, yes.

There are a lot of TFT datasheets (some only connection info) linked from here :

Mike Harrison