terrible Analog Devices data sheet

This is awful:

It's still Rev 0, from 2003.

The only associated appnote is from 1989!

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing laser drivers and controllers

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com

It may be awe-inspiring to find that Analog Devices got it all exactly right, first time around, but you seem to be saying that they ought to have changed it just because it's old.

You and I get worse as we get older, but integrated circuits stay exactly the same. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And specifically what is wrong?

Reply to
miso

On a sunny day (Sun, 16 Nov 2014 17:29:05 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Yes, I recently (or not so recently) had very bad plans for the AD datasheet writer... Probably good enough for a war ciminal trial. :-)

After reading their datasheet about 10 or more times, and trying their example that made no sense to me, but thinking 'I must be missing sometthing so let me try this, but it makes no sense whatsover' I dumped their idea and did it my way. My way works better, is simpler too.

Then the next chip, that fractional 2.4 GHz divider / oscillator where their PLL design software did not run... in Linux wine. Probably the same app writer :-)

Maybe I will still try that chip, ADF4360-1.pdf, anybody used it? Any good?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

What's to understand? Looks to be simply a modernized version of my

1960's design "MC1650/51 High Speed Comparators", PDF on the home page of my website. ...Jim Thompson

Gosh, did you invent the comparator?

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

MECL Comparator... Analog Devices is shifted to PECL...

Patent 3,638,041 Sample and Hold Trigger Circuit, PDF also on my home page. ...Jim Thompson