Temp Controller RNR, SNR what do they mean?

Hi All,

I am wanting to build a small 110vac temp controller for sous vide cooking. Found a bunch of PID controllers for around 20-bucks and lots of how-to-build instructions.

RNR, SNR and SSR?

I am guessing SSR is Solid Sate Relay, but what are SNR and RNR?

Search as I might I cannot find an explanation for those two. I see a zillion ads offering either type but have no idea which one I want.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

hamilton

Hamilton, I don't get it.

How do those links answer my question. Building the Sous Vide is the simple part and I don't need instructions for that.

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

Since the PID controller will have a pulsed output for a SSR that is the one to use. The power will be going on and off a lot so you will not want to hear a relay clicking away whislt cooking, not to mention wearing out the relay contacts etc.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Of all the links, did any one of them use anything other than a SSR ?

Sorry to waste your time, I won't do it again.

Reply to
hamilton

As I read one discussion, an RNR model has a built-in relay which is capable of switching a specified class of loads. An SNR model has a low-voltage output which is intended to switch an external relay (commonly an SSR, as you note).

Reply to
David Platt

--

Look at the numbering scheme for the TAx series PID controllers at

It shows that this model controller has the capability of two main outputs, and an Aux output. The character "R" in any of these positions means that it has relay contacts at the output. The character "S" in any of these positions means that it has a solid state relay (SSR) at the output. The character "T" in any of these positions means that it has a silicon controlled rectifier (SCR) at the output. The character "N" in any of these positions means that there is no output for that position.

For example, the number for model TA4-RNR indicates that the first output is a relay; the second output is None; and the third (Aux) output is a relay.

Hope that helps Dave M

Reply to
Dave M

Dave M, thanks very much. That explains it nicely for me. Very much appreciated the detail you went to.

Dave

Reply to
Dave, I can't do that

IS a pid's SSR low voltage output ac or dc?

Reply to
dlmz06

DC

--sp