Tektronix 2% Ag Solder

Why ? I know it is for their proprietary (probably) ceramic connector strip s. They indicate you can get by with regular solder once or twice but too m uch and it breaks the bond.

So does that mean that this solder can bond right to ceramic ? I think that is a neat trick if that is how it is. Is that the reason for the silver ?

If so, or even off base and needing correction...just what properties are s o special ? Does the silver make it less eutectic ? Or possibly MORE eutect ic ? Is it the thermal mass, conductivity or expansion coefficient ?

I figured it would be a better idea to ask here than in SER because you guy s have a more rounded education and are more familiar with process.

Another thing is I would like to obtain such connectors for my project. Ext reme high end audio with massive currents, I would rather hardwire it than use PC boards, do they make 40 oz. copper boards ? Right now I figure my be st bet is to use the normal ones that have been around forever but to take and bed the top of each one over so the hole becomes a slot. I DO NOT want the lead wrapped all around there making it a PITA to change. It also makes radiation, capacitance and inductance less predictable. That is obviously one of the reasons Tektronix used it.

We all know that silver has the lowest room temperature resistance, unless they came out with a new superconductor they haven't told me about. But can 2% of it make much difference electrically ?

And then there is the question, is it really now just Pb62/Sn36/Ag2 for exa mple ? Or is there other things in it ? They never said there weren't. One thing I learned is never to assume anything they don't say. I mean to the p oint if you see a box in the store that says TV, make sure it says COLOR T V. Like "This phone doesn't have that", "Why didn't you tell me ?", "You di dn't ask". So even with that mini-ISB don't assume it can give you a rim jo b...

So maybe there is more in that solder ? Too bad Jim Yanik isn't around, he would have the answer in 38 millisecods...

Reply to
jurb6006

[...]

The connector strips are probably silver plated in selected areas. The silver in the solder stops the plating from being dissolved by the molten solder.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Right. But they haven't used these strips in many decades.

Some of my old scopes have a small spool of that solder inside.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It might not be the silver content so much as the flux in the solder that came with the 2%AU stuff.

Modern water soluble, (etc.) solder flux may work better (or worse)...

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

[...]

the roll I've been using since forever is SnPbAg 62/36/2 I think back when I got it was recommended for ceramic capacitors because they use(d?) silver in their terminations

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

...and that solder is tin/silver eutectic NOT suckie SAC which did not exist then.

Reply to
Robert Baer

ips. They indicate you can get by with regular solder once or twice but too much and it breaks the bond.

at is a neat trick if that is how it is. Is that the reason for the silver ?

sounds unlikely.

so special ? Does the silver make it less eutectic ? Or possibly MORE eute ctic ? Is it the thermal mass, conductivity or expansion coefficient ?

uys have a more rounded education and are more familiar with process.

xtreme high end audio with massive currents, I would rather hardwire it tha n use PC boards, do they make 40 oz. copper boards ?

You can always lay copper wire on PCB tracks. Soldering along the tracks is a less conductive option. Or islands rather than tracks.

round forever but to take and bed the top of each one over so the hole beco mes a slot.

Que?

e. It also makes radiation, capacitance and inductance less predictable. Th at is obviously one of the reasons Tektronix used it.

s they came out with a new superconductor they haven't told me about. But c an 2% of it make much difference electrically ?

no

xample ? Or is there other things in it ? They never said there weren't. On e thing I learned is never to assume anything they don't say. I mean to the point if you see a box in the store that says TV, make sure it says COLOR TV. Like "This phone doesn't have that", "Why didn't you tell me ?", "You didn't ask". So even with that mini-ISB don't assume it can give you a rim job...

e would have the answer in 38 millisecods...

I'm not familiar with it, but it's not going to be magic. Another way to ge t extreme low R would be to glue/solder thick copper wire down to tracks & solder components onto the thick wires. If it's really worth it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The 2% silver tin-lead solder was for use on ceramic terminal strips which had silver plating in the notches of an otherwise plain ceramic bar with mounting holes and no metal except for the silver plating. The silver in the solder was to keep it from dissolving the silver plating from the ceramic substrate - once that happens the connection falls off the terminal strip. No solder, silver bearing or not, will bond to unplated ceramic. I don't think I have seen these on anything made after the '60s, pretty much of historical interest only.

Reply to
glen walpert

Indium solder will bond to glass and ceramic. An ultrasonic soldering iron helps a lot.

2% Ag in SnPb solder helps a lot when using ceramic packages with evaporated gold contacts. A few years back I was using some InGaAs photodiodes on packages like that--normal Sn63 solder ate the gold right off the ceramic, leaving nothing. (A bit of a heart-scald when your diodes cost $50 each and take weeks to get.)

InSn eutectic was fine, but so was 2% Ag in SnPb. The 2% stuff is much cheaper.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'll never forget the first time I tried to solder some thin gold wire... and watched the whole thing disappear into the solder blob on the end of the iron.

GH

Reply to
George Herold

If you know that 62/36/2 (tin/lead/silver) is the proper solder to use on old Tektonix scopes, why are you looking for an alternative? Surely, it's not the price or availability. However, if you decide to try some other non-silver solder mix, I found a way to repair the inevitable damage after I made the same mistake. I suggest copper foil adhesive tape in place of the missing silver plating, and bury it under a blob of ordinary 63/37 solder to hold it in place.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

old Tektonix scopes, why are you looking for an alternative?

The question is mainly academic. It is pertinent to something going on as I consider different construction methods but it certainly is not price, the se things are not going to be cheap. Let's put it this way, I FINALLY found suitable parts for it and they are $360 each, and it takes two.

So being the expense is going to be very significant I would like to have a better construction method. I want really low stray capacitance, resistanc e and inductance and I want EMI extremely limited. This is a high end audio amp and it is not going to have any global feedback. The common collector drivers for the outputs have a tracking collector supply to keep them in th e most linear range, and each stage also sets its own gain. This approach i s rarely used because of - difficulties. The best part is still the output circuit. What I got has never been done as far as I know and I am familiar with tons of topologies. it is so unique I will not patent it. To kinda pro tect it I figure on the top and bottom I will cement acrylic sheets, look b ut don't touch.

This way it will probably take three years before the Chinese get their han ds on one, if I apply for a patent they get it right now. Now it looks like Trump is getting our intellectual property rights some respect from the Ch inese, in fact that is in there but coming more in phase two I think. I thi nk his attitude is right about them, it is like "You can make a little less money or none" which means 20% of their sales. Wouldn't kill them but woul d you like to live on 20% less ? He does have some mistakes under his belt but this ain't one of them.

Anyway, they ain't the only ones, there are even domestic copiers. All they have to do is make a few changes and sidestep the patent. I am thinking of spray paint maybe for the components. Long warranty, captive service like it is broke ? Well you can wait for a shipping container and send it and ge t another one, or we can put a hold on your card and just send it, as long as you send the old one back your card is not charged. I had something like that, it worked out because they gave me a box for it. I had thrown the or iginal one away, believe me I do not do that anymore. I got boxes for a who le bunch of stuff in a room in the basement now. Ugh, and we just bought a bunch off new shit and then got given some - some from my Aunt who moved fa r away so now there are three large TVs, five microwaves, and there are thr ee of us...

Anyway, that seems like the best plan. Take it apart and no warranty. But y ou can see it and "admire" its construction techniques.

There has to be something better out there than those strips they used in t he 1940s. And I refuse to scrap Tek scopes for them, that is like blasphemy of the first degree. Plus that limits availability, I might have to keep m aking these things if they catch on. And I know how to make them catch on. Not only is it different and will behave different I intend to use every di rty trick in the book to beat the others cold. Like manipulating the freque ncy response. Sure I can get it to within +/- 0.001dB, but spec it to +/-

1 and you got 2dB to play with. Sweeten the high and low end just a bit, ta ke out some harsh. Maybe add a little throat.

I don't even intend to try to hide that. them people are not really spec an al. If hey were they would not listen to single ended triodes. However bein g mostly even order distortion they might actually like it, the human voice is full of it. That's why AM transmitters make sure of the mic polarity, t hey want to up modulate, not down modulate. (you knew that I bet but I thre w it i anyway) With most any other type of modulation it means nothing.

Anyway, enough on that tangent. The other problem with this amp is the extr eme currents involved. It might only be 35 volts but at maybe 30 amps solid . That is arc welding language.

Reply to
jurb6006

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 2:41:33 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

[...]

Turret boards or standoffs are a lot cheaper.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Yes, as I'm sure you (but perhaps not others) know, it is used for attaching wires to ITO (Indium Tin Oxide) coated glass.

Also, I recently found out that ceramics can be brazed.

Chris Jones

When my ship comes in, I'll buy an ultrasonic iron. They can do magic things even with 63SnPb, including soldering to aluminum without horrible corrosive ZnCl2/KCL flux.

Long ago at IBM, I used to borrow one from a colleague now and then.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs