ceramic antennas

The ceramic antennas are generally dielectric antennas, not the conducting antennas we all know and love. I am not a RF wizard, but I can take a shot at explaining the differences as I understand them (comments/corrections welcome!).

As I understand it, there are two basic types of ceramic antenna, but both kinds can be combined in one structure.

The first type is basically a standard conducting antenna using metal conductors on ceramic with a very high dielectric constant. The dielectric pretty much contains the near field, which greatly reduces the user's hand detuning the circuit. It also makes it a lot easier to put multiple antennas close together and allows for a smaller antenna (IIRC, wavelength is proportional to the square root of the dielectric constant).

In the second type - often called a dielectric resonator antenna - the dielectric resonates and becomes a source of radiation. This mode can be combined with the mode above, and parasitic elements can be added to make absolutely sure that old-school engineers such as myself can't figure out what is going on without going back to school. :)

In addition, the dialectic can act as a lens. For an interesting discussion on how this works with grapes in a microwave, see [ http://128.252.223.112/posts/archives/dec97/882909591.Ph.r.html ]. also see [

].

All of which pretty much explains why I would hire someone who knows what he is doing rather than attempt such a design myself. This stuff is a Black Art.

Reply to
Guy Macon

Hello Guy,

Nah. Just a wee bit of Maxwell, some 12 year old single malt and RF lab gear will do.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hi,

Why is ceramic used in antennas, such as surface mount chip antennas and GPS passive antennas? What is the internal structure of these antennas? I am guessing there is a metal conductor inside the ceramic?

cheers, Jamie

Reply to
Jamie Morken

Hello Jamie,

Predictable material properties, such as dielectric coefficient and loss. Also, there is a good lot to lot correlation.

BTW, the wireless card I for my PC has the antenna on plain old FR4. Cheap, but it works.

All I have seen it's all on either surface.

That would be pretty expensive to do.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg
[
] has a detailed description of one type of ceramic antenna.
Reply to
Guy Macon