Tektronix special solder

Is there an old-timer out there who remembers the special solder that had to be used on those ceramic component mounts in the 500-series scoopes? What was the composition of the solder, and is it still available anywhere ? I have a 556, and may need to replace some components.

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

You could get some of Zephyrtronics "LowMelt=AE DeSolder"

and use it for soldering.

Reply to
Winfield

It was a silver-loaded solder to avoid silver being leached-out of the mounts, but I can't remember the exact composition.

--
Tony Williams.
Reply to

This is a pretty standard low-melt solder - pretty easily available, e.g. for SMD work, although you may not find it as thick as you might like for this type of work.

ISTR these scopes having a little coil of it stored inside somewhere for repairs.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Bingo. Here's a source for it, or at least something that is supposed to work in that application:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Tony Williams wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ledelec.demon.co.uk:

IIRC,it was 3% silver,but I can't recall the tin/lead percentages. Maybe 60/37/3? Silver-bearing electronic solder is still available,AFAIK,but probably not from TEK.

As another poster mentioned,there's usually a small spool of it mounted on the chassis somewhere;the spool is about 1 inch in diameter,white plastic.It has a pin that goes thru a grommet on the chassis,like the terminal strips mount.It just pulls off.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I'm not old! :-P

I was told back then that it was a type of silver solder, but my 561A had a small spool of it internally. I still have it, too - both the scope and the solder.

I have a 561A that almost works. The left/right deflection stuff is, well, "unusually nonlinear" at best. I've got three plugins - tiembase, single trace, and dual trace. Haven't used it in ages.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

?

My 503 manual says to use solder with 3% silver, Tek part # 251-514.

Reply to
scada

had

anywhere

I got a hit on Google with that PN:

LEAD 60 TIN 37 SILVER 0.3 WIRE SOLID 0.032 INCHES NOMINAL

scada

62Tin-36lead-2silver alloy. Have an 1oz roll by Kester (will last you 200 years) and you are welcome to have it.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Pepto-Bismol

Martin

Reply to
Martin Griffith

"scada" wrote in news:wgpwi.122$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

that would be 3%,not 0.3%. 3% adds up to an even 100%.

Also,the p/n now translates to 214-0514-00,in the current TEK part number format. A 1 lb spool.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Robert Baer wrote in news:46c1f2f2 snipped-for-privacy@newsfeed.slurp.net:

whats so bad about bismuth?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yeah, I did a copy & paste from the web page...I didn't look back!

Reply to
scada