Tek sale

Doesn't need to be. The probes I have need a few gold plated pads in a specific pattern on the PCB and 2 holes. Loading is less than 0.7pf. But the probe connection needs to be designed in the PCB.

You didn't say that before :-)

I'd do the math first. Cumbersome and it takes some arm wrestling with the FPGA tools (Xilinx at least) to get real numbers on minimum/maximum setup and hold requirements in worst case conditions. Many years ago I designed an FPGA DDR interface that way. Verification of timing was more or less a formality.

I have been doing the same with FPGA designs. Have some pins for debug and route signals to the pins. Some of my designs have a debug output mux which allows the firmware to select which signals are on the debug pins. No need to compile special test versions.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

message

no

You can also build a logic analyzer into the FPGA. I try to use FPGAs or CPLDs that can be sized up or down, using the same footprint. These debug aids can then be built in during engineering and deleted for production.

Generally, I'm with you, though. It's easier to think than reach for the LA first. There's generally an assumption that's been missed.

Reply to
krw

The Instek had buggy firmware. Problems with triggering, and an odd bug in the vertical knobs. Usability stuff that shouldn?t be there, and should have been fixed. I'd rather have a Tek, but the DSOX2024A from Agilent may be a better bang for the buck.

Martin Riddle

Boss just told me to buy an MSOX3054 for my cube. I think it'll go well with the furnishings. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Free Wavegenerator and DVM till August on the DSO and MSO's

Hmm, that tax refund can't get here fast enough ;)

Martin Riddle

Yup. The Agilent rep was here Tuesday and told me he'd send me the quote today.

Refund? Why would you let the government use your money for nothing? I'll probably owe about $4K, again.

Reply to
krw