Tek 7834 Landed

OK, I know it is old, but I like it. Has a few kinks to be ironed out but I 'll deal with that. At the moment I got two horizontal time bases in there, both the elcheapo 7B50, and one of them not right. The rotary encoder is s lightly screwed up, but it DOES work pretty much. The other time base works fine, but I am looking for a dual time base, as it will do things the main frame will not, using its chop or alternate modes.

At the same little bistro of electron mashing gear we stole this from ($24) is a 5110 I think, which is a dual beam. It takes three plugins and it has three plugins. I imagine a dual beam can have two traces at different rate s. Cool eh ?

Well so can the 7834. In the chop mode, is there a difference ?

So the question, the bottom line, the de etat, the whole enchilada here, th e ISSUE ! :

Just WHAT can a dual beam scope do that the 7834 can't ?

Reply to
jurb6006

Well... what is the chopping frequency? Now if the events to be displayed happen with details changing at rates near or above the chopping frequency, what do you think the 7834 will do? Then, I suppose, you could compare the chopping frequency with the (low: likely ~2MHz) BW of the 7834.

Reply to
Frank Miles

This is a 400 mHz mainframe, so I think the chopping frequency, though coul d become an issue at some high speed, is up there far enough to keep that f rom happening for a while.

But in the absence of any aliasing or whatever other artifacts, what can't it do that a dual beam can ?

At that surplus place they have a 51XX which is a dual beam. I am not sure of the bandwidth or anything at the moment, but if it can't do anything the 7834 can, why spend the bucks ? I got the 7834 for a song and a dance.

It actually does have a problem, looks like an intermittent HV arc when it is cold. Since it had just come out of the cold the first day I warmed it u p with a heat gun and the problem went away. However firing it back up the next day brought the problem back until it warmed up. I will have to addres s that, but if it is the only issue with the thing I think I am in prety go od shape.

It just happens to fit my scopemobile as well. Other scopes made the thing look empty.

Reply to
jurb6006

but I'll deal with that. At the moment I got two horizontal time bases in there, both the elcheapo 7B50, and one of them not right. The rotary encoder is slightly screwed up, but it DOES work pretty much. The other time base works fine, but I am looking for a dual time base, as it will do things the mainframe will not, using its chop or alternate modes.

($24) is a 5110 I think, which is a dual beam. It takes three plugins and it has three plugins. I imagine a dual beam can have two traces at different rates. Cool eh ?

the ISSUE ! :

Dual beam o'scopes do one thing that no other kind can, show you what happen at two places at the same time. Nothing else does that. When it is important nothing else does that well. Many DSOs can do things that are very similar, a few can sample fast enough to give you the near equivalent.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

My TDS 694C gives 10 Gs/s simultaneously on all four channels. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs