oscilloscope probe compatible with the Tektronix 7904?

Could someone please tell me if the non-tektronix probe will work with the tektronix oscilloscope specifically the 7904 I recently got a ProbeMaster 4906-1RA.

This is rated up to 300Mhz, and has the rating 10x on it.

Will this work with the 7904? I had thought it would until a closer look reveals the thing has a little pin jutting out of the BNC connector plug on the probe (similar to the one in the above pic). My memories from looking somewhere tells me that the 7000s series of Tektronix probe don't have this little retractable pin on the BNC connector. And that these probe are good for the 24xx series. Is this correct?

It appears that this pin is connected directly to the BNC outer surface (ground?), but I am not sure.

So far I have hooked it to a 7A13 plugging and been trying to read a sine wave off a 16V AC transformer without any luck. The 7A13 has two input connector, one is marked +ve and the other -ve. I have been trying to read it off the +ve side.

Reply to
Sam Kaan

Can you read the sine wave without the probe? There are a LOT of buttons/knobs on the 7a13/7904 that have to be in the right position to get anything thru. mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment

the

look

My

sine

Nothing without the probe either.

This is how I set up the 7A13 and 7B52 timebase.

horizontal sweep speed: 2ms/division (actrually tried rotating the knob over the whole range also) vertical amplifier: 1 V/division (actrually tried rotating the knob over the whole range also) trigger: AUTO trigger source: LINE.

Reply to
Sam Kaan

The pin should touch a ring around the BNC connector to tell the scope whether you are set to 1X or 10X. Most Tek scopes use this design.

--
We now return you to our normally scheduled programming.

Take a look at this little cutie! ;-)
http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/photos.html

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Get the plugin to work before you worry about the probe. There are channel switch buttons on the mainframe. There are input buttons on the plugin. There are a bunch of offset buttons/knobs that can put the trace off screen even if everything else is ok. Do you have the green line on screen? Intensity turned up? Display readout visible? Push the beamfinder button.

If all else fails, read the manual. mike

--
Return address is VALID.
Toshiba & Compaq LiIon Batteries, Test Equipment
Honda CB-125S $800 in PDX
TEK Sampling Sweep Plugin and RM564
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser
mike

the

Yes I can see the green line across the screen. I positioned the line right smack in the middle. Tiddle with the time division knob and the line will either becomes solid line or apear as a slow moving dot across the screen moving from left to right. In other word if I turn the thing clockwise all the way it becomes a solid line across. Do the reverse and it becomes a dot moving from left to right. I think the plugin is working, just that it is a complex piece of equipment.

Reply to
Sam Kaan

"Sam Kaan" wrote in news:1i7Lb.44716$ snipped-for-privacy@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

TEK 10X probes have a pin that contacts the outer ring on the input BNC for switching the readout to compensate for the V/div change.(rescales the RO to indicate the at-probe-tip sensitivity.) This probe may be similar. Does this probe have it's own grounding switch?(gives a gnd reference without having to use the 7A13 buttons.) Do you get a signal from the scope calibrator output? (sq.Wave) With just a wire to the cal BNC? (indicating the 7A13 input works)

Like if your 7A13 is set at 1V/div,then you connect a 10X probe,the RO will change to 10V/div,the true sensitivity.

Have you selected the buttons on the 7A13 for AC-GND-DC for the input you are using?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

for

I don't think so. All I see on the probe BNC is just as shown in these photos.

Notice the third picture probeC.JPG shows what appears to be a recessed knob of some kind, which appears like a phillips type screw. Maybe its for calibration.

Which calibrator output are you referring to? I have put in some label in this photo could you identify the calibrator output you are referring to?

will

So each division represents a 10V magnitude even when your knob is set at

1V/div??

I am not sure how you set this AC-GND-DC you indicated here. I have here a photo of the 7A13

As you can see there are 2 BNC connector for on it. One is labeled +input and the bottom as -input to the right are 4 push buttons each. They are exclusive and labelled AC, GND, DC, Vc ie. you can only choose one of them for each of the two sets associated with +input and -input respectively. What I did was pressed on AC because that is what I am trying to display.

Also on the other pluggin (timebase) I set it to auto mode. Source to 'line'. Displaymode 'mainsweep'

In any case I think if I can get the square wave you mentioned above to work, it would be a good start.

Reply to
Sam Kaan

"Sam Kaan" a écrit dans le message de news:L6sLb.39187$ snipped-for-privacy@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...

Oupps, I think you definitively need to spend some time in the manual of this scope ! Looking at this picture only at least there are three configuration mistakes :

- "A trigger source" is set to "right vert", and you have only a "left" vertical amplifier. Should be set to "right vert" or "vert mode". Currently the scope will never trigger

- "Vertical mode" is set to "chop" and you have only one vertical amplifier, should be set to "left"

- "Horizontal mode" is set to "chop" and you have only one time base. Should be set to "A".

I've not looked at the pictures of the plugins but these kind of scope NEED to fully read manuals of the mainframe AND of each plugin... Good luck !

Robert.

Reply to
Robert Lacoste