TeeVee over Fibre

You also have to supply power to the LNBs. This is normally done through the co-ax, but might be a problem with a long run.

Be aware that with this method you need an optical fiber for each LNB. You also need power for the fiber transmitter and the LNBs. The unit described above provides the LNB power. There is also a "switch" that routes the output of the required LNB to the requesting receiver. This can be at the receiving end of the optical links.

There are systems that "stack" all of the LNBs outputs on one fiber. This requires that that they be "un-stacked" before the receiver switch.

He'll need three circuits with power supplies at each end. This will serve several TV receivers with the normal switch. Dish and DirectTV use slightly different systems, but they both require multiple LNBs and a way to allow all TV receivers to access the correct one.

It would be a lot easier and cheaper to put the dish closer.

--
Virg Wall, K6EVE
Reply to

The dish will be at a location with power; the same place the solar arrays are.`

How did we get to multiple LNB's?

Gads. Is that why their stock setup has multiple coax's?

Hardly. Rule 1: the dish has to be be able to see the birds. You can not do that from within the forest; you can from outside it.

David Lesher

Huh!?

It has a menu that has five entries:

Weather

Music

Video

Pictures

Programs

Pretty simple. Even a cave man can do it.

You must have raised some pretty dumb daughters.

Reply to
Copacetic

That's what baluns were invented for :-)

As a kid the cheapest ones I made consisted of cutting the coax, looping in back at a 1" or so radius, soldering center to shield, do same with other side, tape together. Of course, first you must go from Aircell to something more pliable.

That's not too bad but you'd also have to factor the cost of the fiber versus the coax. The coax won't be cheap either.

Got to make choices :-)

I don't quite get it why teenage daughters all need their own sat channel choices. Time to get family life back into families ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

A big Stihl or Jonsered chainsaw would take care of that. This would also drop the heating bill for the next 4-5 years to close to zero. Just kidding :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Usually one can find a video game that both teens and parents can both enjoy? :-)

Wasn't the original "Princess" telephone marketed just as much to teenaged daughters as to their mothers? :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

No. It was marketed as a desk-top or night-stand "space saver". ...Jim Thompson

Yeah, sure. Back in the sixties there were Ma Bell "buy our new phone" ads on TV every day.

What an idiot. Back then, we ALL had the SAME phones in EVERY house.

There was ZERO "marketing" by ATT of their phones to us. WE HAD to use whatever they supplied. It wasn't until the seventies that we were even allowed to use other phone makers, and they had strict rules they had to follow in their designs.

The phone "selection" was made by the installer, back when 'the princess phone' came out, unless the woman of the house was around to ask for specific phones at alternate locations.

There were not even any "phone stores" until the mid seventies.

Reply to
Copacetic

It wasn't "marketed" at all.

Reply to
Copacetic

Maybe, but they got cancelled, I thought.

You're clearly stuck in the right hand plane on that one.

David Lesher

If they wanted to live out in bare plain, land would be LOTS cheaper in Kansas. Plus, there's a little issue of the jail time for cutting down trees illegally.

A friend suggests that there are multiple flavors of HDMI over fiber boxes. Put the Dish/DirectTV at the antenna location and run HDMI across the glass.

David Lesher

For RHCP and LHCP you would need an own LNB, possibly mounted into a single box. If the frequency difference between the lowest channel and highest channel of difference is larger than the IF passband, you will need separate front ends to cover the lower as well as higher end of the satellite band in both polarizations.

If multiple satellites are needed, then more LNBs are needed. If C-band support is needed, add some more LNBs, if you want to select any channel at the receiver.

Is this building in the middle of a 100 m redwood forest or is at some high latitude e.g. in Alaska ?

Installing a 30 m tower to the North of the building and installing the dishes on it, should give a clear field of view on most cases.

If there is problems of snow accumulating into the dish, try an offset mount dish.

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

On a sunny day (Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:09:33 +0300) it happened Paul Keinanen wrote in :

Somebody in alt.satellite.tv.europe reported that a simple plastic garbage bag over the dish works wonders to keep snow away, I think it was this thread:

Jan Panteltje

I don't know where that is but here in northern California we are usually allowed to cut what we want, unless it's a protected species or some other rules apply.

Ok, but with HDMI you'd be back to the single channel solution and the problem with the teenage daughters wanting "their" channels as well. Then the wife wants to see a dancing show while hubby absolutely has to see the ballgame. Lots of fibers.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It is an operating system add on that takes over the gui.

It is made specifically for the home theater user.

Reply to
Copacetic

over the dish works wonders

"Rain-X" "Works wonders" for shedding any water borne media from a surface.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

One should "go back to" a single dish with single UL DL hooks, and multiple sockets within said hooks to feed multiple streams to multiple daughters. They choose their media from the "in-house" archive, or hunt it up in the cloud, and stream it in live. Then one has Internet access built into the system as well.

Reply to
Copacetic

Yea, I've been told that's the case; the dish has 3 feeds. The HDMI solution looks better and better.

You hit it; the house is deep in the redwoods. I'm not gonna shinny up and put the dish on top of one, either. They more too much to maintain a lock, anyhow.

David Lesher

True, we can just add receivers and converters for each.

David Lesher

I'm hoping we can get a WISP with an angle to hit their site. It looks doable.

David Lesher