Reply to H. R. (Bob) Hofmann

big city, my local trivia page

If you did not have a crap email "spam" blocker I could have successfully replied to your email. Instead a bouncing statement that defames people who happen to have an ISP that has someone else with a compromised pc or is a favourite for spoof FROM address

" host scc-mailrelay.att.net[204.127.208.75] said: 521-212.67.121.102 blocked by sbc:blacklist.mailrelay.att.net. 521 DNSRBL: Blocked for abuse. See

N_Cook

ROM

1

Norm: No one else has ever had toruble reaching me.

Bob Hofmann

Reply to
hrhofmann

IMHO, blacklisting ISP SMTP servers is not good practice these days; the bulk of spam originates from compromised PCs in botnets. The proper defense is either an intelligently designed greylisting procedure that doesn't discourage the sending MTA from retrying, or verifying with a callback that the sending MTA is in fact a legitimate SMTP host (with HELO) -- I doubt that most compromised PCs will answer correctly.

Michael

Michael

Reply to
msg

successfully

ISP

FROM

FROM

At least Bob's one sends out a bounce message, I would normally repeat the reply on a browser based account. I just wondered what others make of this practise of tarring all with the same defamatory bounce comment etc It seems some such bogus "blacklist" filters do not send bounce messages which compounds the felony, because you are left with the impression they have received and com stopped at that point, and the recipient believes that the sender has not replied.

Reply to
N_Cook