Switching Regulators, Buck,Boost

I've seen many circuit diagrams using a voltage source and an inductor whereby the current is the integral of a constant voltage. It ramps up and down and we vary a switch on/off time as in PWM - all fine.

Surely there is an equivalent with a current source and a voltage that is the integral of current (via a capacitor) that does the same thing?

Hardy

Reply to
HardySpicer

There could be, but while voltage and current sources are equivalent on paper, it seems that most earthly power sources are ultimately voltage sources.

Note that a switching regulator depends on both inductors and capacitors to do it's job -- you can't have just one or 't other.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Normally true, but in extremis if youre powering a filament lamp you dont need either.

NT

Reply to
NT

It is job?

THERE IS NO APOSTROPHE IN THE POSSESSIVE ITS!!!!!!!!!!

One demerit.

Rich Grise, Self-Appointed Chief, USENET Apostrophe Police

Reply to
Rich Grise

One-half demerit each for two omitted appropriate apostrophes.

"youre" -> "you're" "dont" -> "don't"

Total: One demerit.

Rich Grise, Self-Appointed Chief, USENET Apostrophe Police.

Reply to
Rich Grise

A current source feeding into a virtual earth set up by an op amp, with feedback from a capacitor whose other end is connected to the op amp output, is usually called an integrator.

With a switchable current surce that you can turn off, you can make a pretty good triangular wave, by pulse-width modulating the current going into the virtual earth.

The circuit shows up repeatedly in every compendium of op amp circuits

check out pages 9 and 21, amongst others.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

or

up

at

g?

rs

You think I should take longer over each post for no useful purpose? What for?

NT

Reply to
NT

Rich Grise expounded in news:j0nnp7$7us$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

..

And a demerit for you for using an uppercased sentence. ;-)

Warren

Reply to
Warren

He is gone crazy!

What's an its? Are they dangerous when they get possessive?

For a libertarian, you're sure stuck on arbitrary rules.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

I'm grateful this stuff is no longer a measure of merit in my life :)

NT

Reply to
NT

I know what an integrator is, I just wanted to know why buck boost converters didn't also work on current sources and caps rather than voltage sources and inductors.

Reply to
HardySpicer

Credibility. It shows that you're paying attention to what you're posting.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I was SHOUTING! ;-)