Switch poles and current ratings

Hi John S. Yeah sorry about the above. One of those posts I just should have deleted and not sent.

JL said he was making up numbers, which is fine by me, as long as he says he's making up numbers... which he did.

I "make up" numbers too sometimes, trying to estimate some unknown thing. Sometimes it's a good guess.. other times experiment shows that it's totally wrong. (In some ways being wrong is more interesting.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Those numbers are perfectly reasonable engineering estimates. Without specifying a lot more (load current/voltage/impedance, MTBF expectation, exact switch part number, environment, all that) there is no exact answer. It might take years of testing many switches to generate an "exact" answer.

Testing parts to destruction is always fun. That lets you calibrate risk.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The same consideration applies when the switch is being closed, due to contact bounce. My experience is that the bounce is > 1ms, rather near

10 ms, but it is dependent on the internal mechanics inside the thing.
--

-TV
Reply to

Yes, George, I understand. When giving advice, disclaimers are good. I did not read "I just made those up" as a disclaimer. I read it as more of a joke. Perhaps his was a poor choice of words.

Reply to
John S

Sorry, but I was relatively serious. I've seen the debate about paralleling fuses and the 1.5:1 ratio appears there too. It's a decent guess about current sharing in paralleled ohmic devices.

The OP has found a better switch, so it doesn't matter any more.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Well, not to him anyway. He is not the only lurker, though.

Reply to
John S

(about "uprating" paralleled switch contacts)

Personally, I read it as both, sorta. First-guess safety factor of 1.5 is a fair rule of thumb with no particular objective backing.

I suppose somebody has a name for rules involving numbers pulled out of one's ass, but I can't think of any that would be executive-safe or document-safe the way "rule of thumb" is.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Parallel rating would be X, naturally if same reliability is desired. Running at 2*X will guarantee reduced reliability,to estimated region of 1/4 original (or worse). Why? They do not operate at the same time and in the same manner.

Reply to
Robert Baer