Suggestions on how to eliminate 'click'

Those types are _always_ so "Christian".

Somewhere back in time, ~35-40 years ago, a neighbor woman was in our (North Scottsdale) kitchen having coffee with my wife. She opined how she couldn't understand why our children were so well-behaved since we never went to church. I threw her out of the house, "Don't ever return" :-) ...Jim Thompson

:-)

Here's a bizarre news story from the past few days:

. In brief: A church staged a fake kidnapping -- complete with a real (albeit unloaded) AK-47 and a pastor made up to appear bloody and bruised -- of their youth group ostensibly to help them better understand Christian persecution.

I'm sure that "lesson" is indeed going to be "memorable" to all of those involved... especially some of the adults who should be facing jail time for pulling off such nonsense.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

One of the great saints of the Church, Teresa of Avila or somebody like that, said that "it's only the storm outside that makes the stench inside bearable." She was talking in the first instance about her own sins, as we all should, but it's also true in general.

The fact that we're surrounded by sinners--people who know how they should act, but don't--is one of the basic data that goes into the theist view. (Once we realize that we're no better ourselves, the Gospel starts to make sense.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Thereby doubling her astonishment, since obviously your wife was the only one in the place who knew how to behave.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes. My wife is tolerant of ignorance. I am not. ...Jim Thompson

I had a memorable lesson once. In Catholic grade school the substitute teachers were always strangers from other schools, but for religion class the sub was a nun or priest since they always had a lot of free time.

One day the substitute was Father McGirl. He described an event in which a crowd of people "spoke in tongues" and "fire danced on their heads."

"What do we call that...Mister Del Rosso?"

"Uh, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception?"

Father McGirl made a very long scream as if in agony, and threw himself against the black board in a crucified position.

He hung there motionless for several seconds.

Then he turned around and said, "P-E-N-T-E-C-O-S-T!!!"

That was a very effective teaching technique. I still don't know what the Feast of the Immaculate Conception is, but I never forgot Pentecost.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

In High School and my first summer back from MIT I made a bundle of money tutoring Catholic elementary and high school kids... probably driven by parental expectations... none of them were in really bad shape... mostly just screwing around... typical boys :-) ...Jim Thompson

Thereby proving their good behavior was all your wife's fault...
Reply to
John Fields

--
Lucky you! ;)
Reply to

It's all about balance... when she was angry with the kids, I was laughing at their pranks, and vice versa ;-)

But I do marvel how the boys, in particular, survived some of their stunts. ...Jim Thompson

Fun. :-)

Reminds me of the old movie line where the prof asked: "Who was the
first person to advocate asexual reproduction?", which elicited a
reply of: "Your wife."
Reply to
John Fields