Suggestions for a PIC for a one time project.

I have a project I would like to build, and this would be for me a first time PIC controller project.

I am looking for a PIC to do the following:

  1. Address 17 parallel binary weighted bits (need at least 17 I/O's in addition to inputs from (2) below and outputs for LCD (3) below.
  2. Have a keypad or rotary encoder to select combinations of the above bits.
  3. An LCD display of a frequency generated by the PLL device attached to it per instructions below in (4).
  4. Be able to enter a frequency such as 2300.6375 MHz, and do the math to subtract an IF frequency and divide the resultant frequency by some multiplier to address the parallel bits.

The PIC should be available with an evaluation board containing an LCD display a keypad or rotary encoder. I do not want to have to design a circuit board for a one time project.

For background, I have a Scientific Atlanta synthesizer that is designed to generate a frequency in the range of 100.2x to 110.7x MHz to phase lock a microwave brick oscillator used for a C band satellite up and downconvertor. The unit has an external BCD switch which is designed to display 3200.XX to 4200.XX MHz and I wish to re purpose it for a different frequency band.

Any recommendations?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

Take a look at the DSPIC30F6014 and its eval board. Use the ICD2 and MPLAB with C compiler and you have a relatively straight forward job.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

Thanks; It has a great looking display. No keypad or shaft encoder though, I hope I can figure out what I need to interface those.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Treason doth never prosper: what\'s the reason?

"Follow The Money"  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

You cal search around and there is canned keypad interface code in the appnotes or on the internet. You might need to fiddle with the regiater locations but you'll get the just. Shift encoder I assume would be for the rotory encoder?

Could you use a pot and the A2D to read this signal and convert to a bit pattern? The A2D is good to 12 bits.

Reply to
Mook Johnson