Need Suggestions For Upcoming PIC Project

I want to build something that allows me to record the output of an electret microphone onto a USB memory stick. Ideally, I'd like to be able to record mono/stereo at various quality settings, say, voice audio all the way to full music quality up to the limit of the mp3 format.

I am quite familiar with the analog end of this problem, and have done a number of medium complexity PIC projects over the years. But ... I have a few questions:

1) Is there are PIC part that can do the A/D at the appropriate rates for the desired audio quality settings? Is there a better part than a PIC for this?

2) Once I have the audio in memory as a bitstream, are there open source routines to create mp3 format files?

3) Is there a standard hardware/software library for interfacing with a USB memory stick and dealing with its file system.

Effectively, what I want is a small, low power replacement for a cassette recorder.

TIA,

Tim Daneliuk     tundra@tundraware.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Hi Tim,

I assume, this is a hobbyist project ... (otherwise you can by an USB stick with mp3 recorder for a small amount)

You don't specify the requirements, but I have no experiences about the conversation time of the PICs too. You are familiar with the PICs, so I suggest, read the manuals and/or write a simple example.

I don't know. What's on google?

Because there are a great conceptional difference between USB and other serial interfaces, there is no way. USB memory sticks and PICs are only available as USB-slaves and can not act as an USB-Host-Device (like USB-togo).

If you like to build this with a PIC, think about a CF or SD card as storage, and use a small card reader (like a plug) for connet to PC.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Lange

I think the latest line of PIC parts would do the required freqeuncy of conversion but I don't think the resolution will be adequate for audio quality, if you use the standard 16-bit, 41KHz sampling on the ADC as a template. For stereo, you need to sample two channels. You may be better off using a dedicated audio CODEC.

Reply to
Dave

How about the DSP family of dsPIC?

ChadMan