Substituting crystal for ceramic resonator.

I'm considering substituting a crystal for a ceramic resonator in a USB project (12Mhz). I have a few of these to make, so using the 12Mhz crystals I already have would be nice. Is this possible simply by altering the capacitive loading? Anything to watch out for? As I understand it, this may overdrive the crystal. But I don't especially care about frequency - 500ppm is fine, so is this an issue? Many thanks.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Are you trying to replace a resonator that the mfr expects to be on the pins of the device?

Resonators and crystals have somewhat different operational modes, and the on-chip oscillator may not work with a crystal. If you have the details of the onboard oscillator (from the datasheet or perhaps in an app note), I would run it by the group (perhaps on a.b.s.e).

I wanted to do this (on a USB hub device), but my crystal supplier stated quite unequivocally that the onboard oscillator required a ceramic resonator and they had no crystal that would work as is. By altering the loading and perhaps providing a DC feedback path (100k or so in parallel with the crystal) things *might* work, but it will depend on the implementation details of the oscillator.

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

What's the oscillator ?

Most chips will use resonators or crystals equally happily but the capacitive loading may have to be altered ( see the crystal / resonator mfr's datasheet and the semi makers too ).

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear