Storing bits using schmitt trigger inverters

Both the Altera and Xilinx stuff can be downloaded for free. The CPLD can be a ISP type and you can make your own cable.

The Altera CPLDs can be programmed with a totally dumb cable hanging off the parallel port of a PC. You just have to put some series resistors in the cable. The JAM-ISP software can be downloaded for free.

The ICT parts from Anachip can be developed with a free program too but for them you need a programmer since they are not ISP. ICT's place program is the way to go if you are doing a 22V10 design.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Thanks for the details. In the end, I replaced the two inverters by two pairs of JFETs which gave me back the space to put the D-Type flip flops. I know, I know, why did I ask then? Well, curiosity is the main reason.

Reply to
OBones

Of course you do - especially with a spec this loose.

Take two pennies out of your pocket and set them on the table in front of you. Call the head '1', and the tail '0'. Voila! Two bit memory! Of course, if you did it with quarters, it'd be a two-bit two bit memory, with apologies to Mr. Woodgate. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hello Oliver,

Ah, but where is the sportsmanship? I mean, wouldn't it feel great if you could make a 2bit memory for next to nothing?

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

It sure would, but I don't have the necessary knowledge to create that.

Reply to
OBones

You can do it for a dime? CoolRunners are in the $1-$2 range, in onesies.

--
  Keith
Reply to

I read in sci.electronics.design that Rich Grise wrote (in ) about 'Storing bits using schmitt trigger inverters', on Sat, 1 Oct 2005:

I thought of it, but managed to resist the temptation.

John Woodgate