Step recovery diodes and SPICE

Essentially the same John suggested. I chose at first to leave the transistor to auto-oscillate. I was able to trim the supply voltage, so I noticed that there are regions in which the pulse width was rather cahotic, while in other case the pulse repetition rate was more regular. In my circuit, I used a coaxial cable to store the charge and not a capacitor. For the PNP transistor, I just reversed the circuit.

If you bias the C/E just below avalanche, an impulse on the base can trigger it. I made a few tries, having a look at the Linear AN I mentioned above and it seems to work.

You have to try. These transistors are not designed to work in the avalanche region. Some will avalanche nicely, some simply do not. Be extra careful with the fast scope: start with a big attenuator with a very good frequency response and then decrease the attenuation if you need. Sampling head are fragile.

Reply to
Darwin

I will use a 10 dB attenuator which work until 18GHZ... 10 dB is enought? I will use at first a TDS7104 and after if I need, I can acces a TEK

11801C...
Reply to
johan.maricq

You have to be careful at two things:

- you are using a power supply somewhere between 200V DC. You have to be extra careful at decoupling it. Your scope's sampling heads would not be happy to receive a 200V bias

- your pulses should not exceed the maximum amplitude accepted by your sampling head. Start with a big attenuation (surely more than 10dB) and reduce until you have a correct signal.

Reply to
Darwin

DON'T USE A 10 DB ATTENUATOR! You'll blow out a sampling head. 40 dB is 100:1, which would take a 50 volt pulse down to 0.5 volts.

Oh, we tried the Zetex avalanche parts yesterday. They avalanche beautifully, very predictable, trigger nicely, but they're slow, with risetimes in the 2 ns sort of range.

John

Thank you so much to help me... It quite difficult because I'm new in this domain!! Someone has advised me to use microstrip, with 50 Ohm lines, to do my circuit. Can I ask you on which support you realised your PCB?

Johan

Reply to
johan.maricq

Avalanche transistor: no PCB at all. I wired everything on air using a copper clad as a ground plane. Have a look at this AN:

At the end, you find some prototyping hints.

SRD circuits: a 50 Ohm microstrip on a FR4 substrate. But I will measure their characteristics next week.

Reply to
Darwin

(snip)

du/~6.331/an47fa.pdf

Yes. the value is not critical. They are just power supply=20 pumping and ripple filter capacitors.

1073.shtml

The larger values will provide a lower ripple supply, while=20 the smaller values will be cheaper. Take your pick.

Reply to
John Popelish

~6.331/an47fa.pdf

Ok great! I've find a cricuit that I will use... at the appendix D, page 93. But the capacitors have a value of 0.47 without units, so it's =B5F I guess?? Because, here

0/LT1073.shtml at page 14 of the pdf file, there is the same schematic but with different value for C! Thx
Reply to
johan.maricq

du/~6.331/an47fa.pdf

073.shtml

Hello, thx so much for all those advices!!! I've seen the different circuits... and the ones without PCB. I've realised a PCB because for my work it's better to show it to my teacher. But don't you think it will be better with a 50 ohms out impedance?? Or we don't care about that and I put whatever i want?

Thank you!! Johan

Reply to
johan.maricq

.edu/~6.331/an47fa.pdf

T1073.shtml

Hi, I would like to thank you all, it works!!! I have pulses of about 10V and 1.2 or 1.3 ns ... Thanks again!!

Reply to
Johan

du/~6.331/an47fa.pdf

073.shtml

Hello, It's me again ;-) I was wondering how I can calculate or mesure the impdance of my circuit. Because, I'm going to link it to an antenna... So I think it's better if the impedance is adapted... THX!!

PS: my circuit is still page 93 appendix D

Reply to
Johan

=2Eedu/~6.331/an47fa.pdf

T1073.shtml

I think the output impedance (through most of the waveform)=20 is dominated by R4, so 50 ohms is a fair approximation.

Reply to
John Popelish

I was able to get a 2V pulse, 100ps 10%/90% risetime using a SMMD840 step recovery diode. It will do for the moment, even if it's shape is not very clean. I am working with a cheap FR4 substrate, which is rather lossy at those frequency. I will try with RF (Rogers) substrates in a few weeks.

Reply to
Darwin