Ultrafast recovery diodes

Currently designing something for which an ultrafast recovery diode is recommended but on checking the specs and package types for devices so classified at Digikey, I don't like what I see....Current ratings start at

1A which is much more than I need and SMD package types are typically large and bulky SMB or SMA. Forward and reverse recovery times are typically 25 - 50ns.

Looking at some switching diodes not claiming to be fast, superfast or ultrafast, I see current ratings and package types right up my street. Reverse recovery times are as low as 4ns but no mention is made of forward recovery times. Two questions...What are all the relevant attributes of a ultrafast recovery diode? Why wouldn't a switching diode with a 4ns reverse recovery time not be more than suitable as an ultrafast recovery diode?

Reply to
oparr