.STEP FIle ??

Got a request for quoting IBIS model creation, and the potential client sent his data in .STEP file format.

I have no clue what that is.

I've made IBIS models from PWL files (which I suspect .STEP might be a form of) and, of course, Spice files.

Any ideas? ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

STEP is usually a 3D solid-model mechanical file. It's ASCII and typically huge. Things like SolidWorks can open STEP files.

It would be very weird for anything electrical to be expresssed in a STEP file.

(unless someone reused the filename extension)

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den onsdag den 5. marts 2014 00.19.48 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:

The only step file format I know of is a 3D CAD format for mechanical stuff, that would be very odd

open it in a text editor and see if there is anything recognizable

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

There is a free app at the bottom you can down load to view those files. you Also need to install the component they are harping about..

read to the end..

Jamie

Reply to
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr.

Yep. Methinks customer expects that an electrical model can be made from a mechanical drawing. ...Jim Thompson

There isn't ;-) ...Jim Thompson

STEP is usually mechanical, but the file format is sufficiently abstract that it might be used for other things. I've never seen it used for anything but 3D mechanical models.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den onsdag den 5. marts 2014 01.09.20 UTC+1 skrev Jim Thompson:

for some modeling I guess you could

the equations are pretty much the same once you replace the units

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yep, thats a CAD interchange format. Maybe the schematic was drawn in a 3d cad package.

CHeers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Stranger things have happened, like using Autocad to lay out PC boards.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It's an ASCII file so open it up in notepad and see what the header says....

Martin Riddle

Can Notepad open huge files? I have 20 megabyte STEP files.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

UltraEdit opens it just fine (as a text file). I don't think UltraEdit has a size limit. ...Jim Thompson

Here's the standard:

Here's what part of the header of a STEP file I made recently in SolidWorks looks like:

ISO-10303-21; HEADER; FILE_DESCRIPTION (( 'STEP AP214' ), '1' ); FILE_NAME ('LTST_C230_Lite_On_Reverse_Mount_LED_Blue.STEP', '2014-02-26T05:13:30', ( '' ), ( '' ), 'SwSTEP 2.0',

(and another 230K of stuff)

It is a 3D color solid model of an LED package. Unfortunately, it does not seem to preserve transparency.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That's useful, an opaque LED.

Precision electronic instrumentation

It's just a model to see what the PCB will look like and to make sure there are no collisions with the case features. But you knew that.

The real LEDs are water clear, but I tinted them the color of the emitted light.

Don't know why they put the die off-center. I guess it doesn't much matter if there is no lens.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The VariCAD viewer (a free download from ) will enable you to view this quite easily if it is truly a STEP file for CAD. The text format is text based and any text editor should allow you to see the header. I have managed to view the text in Kwrite on some quite large files.

Paul E. Bennett IEng MIET.....
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy.............
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979
Paul E Bennett

A list of programs that can view it.

Reply in group, but if emailing, add a zero and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso