Steel melter for forty bucks? Needs a KW dc supply. Also $1 100nS 30KV! Also ALSO!

:

Beaty

ard

=15

BBpEQsAQILw

nd

ocooler)

That's interesting thanks. Can I ask a silly question? He's changing the main coil, but the coil inductance has to set the frequen cy. Did he just get lucky... or will it work over a range of frequencies?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Den mandag den 23. november 2015 kl. 16.43.11 UTC+1 skrev George Herold:

ll Beaty

Board

=15

TcBBpEQsAQILw

Bend

ryocooler)

PCr

ency.

it'll work over a range of frequencies

Version 4 SHEET 1 880 680 WIRE -32 -112 -160 -112 WIRE 32 -112 -32 -112 WIRE 208 -112 32 -112 WIRE 288 -112 208 -112 WIRE 208 -80 208 -112 WIRE 288 -80 288 -112 WIRE -32 -16 -32 -112 WIRE 32 -16 32 -112 WIRE -160 48 -160 -112 WIRE 208 48 208 0 WIRE 208 48 144 48 WIRE 272 48 208 48 WIRE 352 48 272 48 WIRE 416 48 352 48 WIRE 32 128 32 64 WIRE 80 128 32 128 WIRE 96 128 80 128 WIRE 80 176 80 128 WIRE 416 208 416 48 WIRE 352 224 352 48 WIRE -160 256 -160 128 WIRE 80 256 -160 256 WIRE 144 256 144 144 WIRE 144 256 80 256 WIRE 80 288 80 256 WIRE -160 384 -160 256 WIRE 144 384 144 256 WIRE -32 400 -32 64 WIRE 80 400 80 368 WIRE 80 400 -32 400 WIRE 96 400 80 400 WIRE -32 448 -32 400 WIRE 32 448 32 128 WIRE 256 480 144 480 WIRE 288 480 288 0 WIRE 288 480 256 480 WIRE 352 480 352 288 WIRE 352 480 288 480 WIRE 416 480 416 288 WIRE 416 480 352 480 WIRE 256 512 256 480 WIRE 256 512 32 512 WIRE -32 544 -32 512 WIRE 272 544 272 48 WIRE 272 544 -32 544 FLAG -160 384 0 SYMBOL ind2 400 192 R0 SYMATTR InstName L1

SYMATTR Type ind SYMBOL ind 272 -96 R0 SYMATTR InstName L2

SYMBOL ind 192 -96 R0 SYMATTR InstName L3

SYMBOL nmos 96 48 R0 SYMATTR InstName M1 SYMATTR Value IPB107N20N3 SYMBOL nmos 96 480 M180 SYMATTR InstName M2 SYMATTR Value IPB107N20N3 SYMBOL cap 336 224 R0 SYMATTR InstName C1

SYMBOL voltage -160 32 R0 WINDOW 123 0 0 Left 2 WINDOW 39 0 0 Left 2 WINDOW 3 -255 54 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName V1 SYMATTR Value PULSE(0 24 0 10m) SYMBOL res -48 -32 R0 SYMATTR InstName R1 SYMATTR Value 470 SYMBOL res 16 -32 R0 SYMATTR InstName R2 SYMATTR Value 470 SYMBOL diode -48 448 R0 WINDOW 3 -1 106 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName D1 SYMATTR Value 1N4148 SYMBOL diode 16 448 R0 WINDOW 3 28 107 Left 2 SYMATTR InstName D2 SYMATTR Value 1N4148 SYMBOL res 64 272 R0 SYMATTR InstName R3 SYMATTR Value 10k SYMBOL res 64 160 R0 SYMATTR InstName R4 SYMATTR Value 10k TEXT -192 552 Left 2 !.tran 15m

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Tried that in a microwave; trying to map the nodes. After 10sec many of them melted and made little sucky-holes! All the vacuum escaped.

So, tried again with NE2s submerged in water. Still melted, this time ended up water-filled.

Approved methods: wet thermal fax paper on cardboard, it turns black from 100c water, makes big fuzzy flower patterns. Or, cobalt chloride on paper, pink when damp, blue at the antinodes once the steam has fled.

Reply to
Bill Beaty

The ebay boards look to be oscillators, and the heating coil is the "L" of LC. That's a handy trick for all sorts of RF heating and power supplies, if you aren't trying to hit 13.5MHz.

Reply to
Bill Beaty

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Nov 2015 10:29:39 -0800 (PST)) it happened Bill Beaty wrote in :

So what would happen if you put one of these in that coil:

?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Just ordered one for $38.something. While the board does look real simple, I think the exploding your own parts to get it right would exceed the price of the ebay one.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

On a sunny day (Mon, 23 Nov 2015 10:29:39 -0800 (PST)) it happened Bill Beaty wrote in :

PS, following the flow, and via ultrasonic washing of clothes:

and then I remembered sonoluminecense:

and the whole fight over is fusion happening or not:

I came across this video:

Somehow it automatically showed this as the next one:

I dunno about his long exposure times, but I now have several Sony starlight cameras :-) So I will put this experiment first on the list. If I see it correctly (stopped the video) his signal generator box outputs only 10V???

Also I have some detection equipment...

Now, :-)

For induction experiments: Did you know these are only 2$54 free shipping:

And these 99 cents for two, free shipping too of course, but not sure how to form the coil:

The world is full of mysteries...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

RE; sonoluminescence

Back about 15 years ago I worked at a company building High power High frequency ultrasonic amps and transducers.

Our basic unit had a 2" piezo ceramic transducer and was driven at

660kHz with up to 1000 watts.

We could set it in a 20" aquarium filled with water. Dark adjust our eyes and when powered up, we could see a 2" sonoluminescent beam from the transducer hit the glass 20" away the reflect back to the other side of the aquarium. We had the transducer at a slight angle so it would reflect off the wall at an angle.

This was multibubble luminescence, This was supposed to be the advantage of our high frequency system, the thousands and thousands of bubble collapses were able to enhance the *reaction. When we used a focused reflector, you could see a white fuzzy area in the foci and hear a hiss from the ball of cavitation.

  • I guess we never found the proper reaction to enhance, as the company is no longer in business. :-) I miss it. Our claim to fame was selling a 4000 watt unit to CalTech. It had a 1 gallon flow through vessel with four--4 inch x 4 inch transducers.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

On a sunny day (Tue, 24 Nov 2015 08:37:22 -0600) it happened amdx wrote in :

That is good to know. I want to do a simple experiment with the transducer end (40 kHz) itself a bit under water.

| [] | glass vessel. |~~~/\~~~ | | | >[ ]- -Sony starlight camera | | --------- (not to scale)

And I want to do this remote, from an other room, and wit hear plugs, as I do not want to listen to that high pitch noise for an other few days.... I did a hearing test (frequency response) on both ears after this, still seems to work, but why take the risk. Still waiting for the big transformer cores so I can put the final thing together, nice waterproof housing and connectors did arrive.

That guy in the video works through the glass, dunno why... Coupling with hotglue, seems compicatiatiated to me....

Now I have to read up on neutron detectors I guess..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Do you just want to see the sonoluminescence or do you want to trap a single bubble? Ya, I would think the hot glue would be lossy. On our lab system we isolated the transducer face from the solution under test with a thin 0.003" clear FEP Teflon sheet. The transducer was in ice water while the solution under treatment was at any desired temperature.

BTW, we had one customer replace the FEP Teflon to PTFE Teflon, during experiments, and lost his kill rate. He was killing pathogens in milk.

Hey, I pulled a picture of the setup from the Wayback Machine.

In it you will see the transducer, a gap for the cooling water, then the flanges pinching the Teflon window, the RED solution under test and then an air cavity formed with the aluminum cup over the concaved glass end for focusing the ultrasound. (the brick wrapped in black duct tape was just to hold the vessel in position for the picture) Glass/water interface does not reflect ultrasound like a glass/air interface.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

On a sunny day (Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:09:52 -0600) it happened amdx wrote in :

I would not know how to get one bubble at this point, think I just want to see them bubbles glow for a start.

Stormy waters! Interesting, yes a focusing mirror, will see if I can find something, I see the mass of that thing is smaller than the 40 kHz metal blocks I have, possibly causing the higher resonance. Is the light coming from the bubbles at the surface?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I don't know what is important at 40kHz, At 660kHz, a thin aluminum concaved reflector backed my air.

Somethings are coming back to me. If you drive a 40kHz transducer hard enough, you will get cavitation at the surface of the transducer, this will attenuate how much sound will get out into solution. It is blocked by the cavitation.

Here on page 28 is a graph of frequency and pressure required to cause cavitation. At 620kHz we could get much more energy into solution before

cavitating the face of the transducer.

Actually the housing is 4" in diameter and the piezo ceramic is 2". I 'think' the 2" piezo was 0.080" thick and we bonded it to 0.0625" 6061 aluminum. This combination was resonant at around 620kHz.

Yes, I mentioned our systems were high frequency, usually about 620kHz. Many, many, tiny bubbles.

This picture show a little about cavitation and frequency, also temp and surface tension reduction of your water.

I'm not sure If I understand the question, Surface of the transducer? As I mentioned the light could be seen all the way across the 20 inches of aquarium and then reflect back again. The sonoluminescence pretty much started at the surface of the transducer, but it was important not to have a lot of cavitation on the surface of the transducer, it would eat the aluminum.

I worked with a Physicist that studied acoustics, he designed all of the transducers, amplifiers, driving networks, I just built them. Wish now I had got one for myself just to play with.

He considered this one of his better books.

Contents

This book looks interesting,

'Sounds' like fun!

Mike

Reply to
amdx

On a sunny day (Tue, 24 Nov 2015 13:53:20 -0600) it happened amdx wrote in :

Yes, wavelength is a problem, the longer wavelength at 40 kHz may need a bigger parabolic reflector. Speed of sound in water is 1480 meter / second, at 40 kHz that gives a wavelength of 3.7 cm? This requires a large (several wavelength) reflector.

OK

I ment the surface-to air bubbles, but OK, everywhere is good enough for now :-)

Well, I am not going to run it 24/7 for sure, but will try to make a movie of the lights. So a litttle bit of surface damage to that transducer can be easily polished away I think.

Nobody is stopping you to get one from ebay, 13 $ or so.

It is a lot of study material, lemme build a model in my neural net when experimenting.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

The sonoluminesence follows the 2" diameter of the 2" (round) transducer. Just a tube of light.

I meant one of our high power units, 250 watts or 1000 watts.

Just wanted to give you some reference material.

Reply to
amdx

On a sunny day (Tue, 24 Nov 2015 15:56:16 -0600) it happened amdx wrote in :

250 = about 4 x 60 so 4 in parallel.

Yea, that is OK. I think I solved the 'how to make a single bubble' issue.

It is simple, if you use a round vessel, like a lab bottle (retort), the _sides_ are the mirrors that do the focus .

[]( . )[]

not to scale. From this: the lower the frequency the bigger the bottle should be. Focal points from left and right should point to the middle.

See what sort of vases (flower?) I can find.

But nuf theory, back to the real world.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Hobby Lobby and Michael's would be my sources for this type of glass item. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

On a sunny day (Wed, 25 Nov 2015 06:26:21 -0600) it happened amdx wrote in :

I found a few vaseline glass vases, this could work too:

After long thought I think the problem is that my mama raised me drinking from vaseline glass. At later age I found a locked box in the attic full of that yellow green glass, it gave me a funny feeling when I touched it (little idea what radiation was) mama told me to leave it alone as it was radioactive. Somebody must have told her, and she changed tupper ware. It explains my early enlightenment and my hunger for ever more radiation. And supperior IQ of course.

But for those with less activity there is expensive lab bottles, and there is cheap fish bowls and flower pots on ebay:

2$99 free chipping of course. Will this arrive in _one_ piece? Nice the holes for the transducers, but not opposite each other. May Bee I will order one.

Its too small for big fish, but maybe for _one_ shrimp? I mean _after_ the experiment.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Wow, it arrived already- 8 days after order. China to Chicago is faster than free shipping from Amazon. Obviously the thing went airmail.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Any good ultrasonic "burn" type accidents or injuries? As I've mentioned a bunch of times before, don't just grab even a dollar store transducer powered by a wall transformer out of water.

Not only was it painful, it was sone of those weird types of pain that is just weird enough to feel even worse. Small RF burns can be like that- it can feel hot but there's nothing hot there etc.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

I don't have any, but have heard stories about customers at tech shows sticking their hand in the aquarium while our transducer was powered. They weren't very happy. Mikek

Reply to
amdx