Splice 2 ribbon cables

I'm looking for a quick way to connect two ribbon cable ends. Besides using crimp-on male and female connectors on the two cables and joining them, is there some type of connector I can look for? Maybe I can just cram two cables into a normal IDC female crimp connector?

Noisy or messy is OK. It just needs to be easy to use and reasonably strong.

Thanks

Reply to
Noah

Yes, I want to connect each wire securely from one cable to its respective wire on the other cable. 50mil. I'm looking for something quick that a layman can use, so soldering is out. A male and female would work fine, I was just wondering if there was anything simpler/cheaper :).

Reply to
Noah

Well, if you design the connectors on the interconnected boards so that they expect the rows to be interchanged, then you can get away with just using a long dual-row header for shorting the two IDCs together! (E.g., pin 1 ends up as 2, 2-->1, 3-->4, 4-->3, etc.)

Using a single female-female cable twice as long is really a lot better... if you use something that shows up commonly in the PC industry (such a IDC-40), you can find the connectors for next to nothing.

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Assuming that an unstated requirement is to connect each and every wire securely and without shorts, go with the male and female, or (better) replace the entire ribbon cable with a more appropriate one.

That's assuming 50mil pitch or finer.. if it's 100 mils then you can just do lap joints or solder it into stripboard.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

If your time is free, you could just solder them.

Don't forget the heat-shrink!

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, but drunk

I guess what you need would be like a transition connector, but with both ends having cable connections. I don't think such a thing exists though, the male and female approach is the simplest I think.

Mark

Reply to
markp