Spice

What with all the discussion about headphone amps, I thought I would have a play and downloaded the analog devices Multisim Component Evaluator.

Can't believe how easy it is to use. Had the rough and ready amp circuit posted yesterday drawn in about 10-15 minutes, together with some component values and had a simulation running. There are scopes, generators, gain / phase meters and loads more. All of this without even reading the manual !.

Absolutely amazing and very intuitive package. Stuff like this could make me lazy if I don't watch out...

Regards,

Reply to
ChrisQ

Downloaded it out of curiosity...

Most antiquated install method I've seen in years.

Looks like ADI's vain attempt to emulate LTspice... but "expiring in

279 days" ;-)

Who do you work for, National or ADI ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

Neither :-), Just quite amazed at how easy it was to use, but do have very limited exposure to spice tools, so maybe i'm just easily impressed.

What I do like is stuff like the scope and other tools that are merely icons on the screen which you wire up just like any other part, the static and mobile probes that show all the values in an associated box and just the general ease of use, especially the schematic editor. I downloaded ltspice and it's not anything like as intuitive and the schematic editor seems a bit hard work in places. Not that I would complain and I guess it's just a case of what you are used to. I think ad may have something pretty good, but they generally seem to more than know their stuff.

I wondered about the license as well, but apparently it's renewable on expiry at no charge. Probably something to do with the NI tie in...

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
ChrisQ

I used Multisim once, and it had bugs. LT Spice is better, and lots of people here post schematics in LT Spice ascii format.

John