SPI transmission line thing

For arbitrary values of 240. ;)

It might need two 30-ohm traces, each feeding four 120-ohm traces. The principle is to make the reflections coincide in time, so that you can get rid of them all at once with a series termination.

Not exactly. A Wilkinson needs to be 1/4 wave long because it goes

50->2 x 70.7->50 ohms, so there's a 180 degree reflection at each end, and you need the phase delay to make them cancel. If you went 50 -> 2 x 100, there would be no reflection.

The reason the Wilkinson is useful is that it has a 100-ohm resistor between the two split outputs, so differential-mode reflections cancel. (Common-mode ones obviously add.)

Cheers

Phil "RF guy in a previous life" Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Den fredag den 21. august 2015 kl. 23.47.37 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

with 7ns risetime all the lines after the T is so short they hardly matter

run the sim with wires instead of all the short transmission lines, the waveforms are near identical

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Not necessarily. The shift register can still shift data but the load occurs on enable (not).

Reply to
krw

You got that right! I bought the SPI/I2C module for my scope. The SPI function is useless. It's so constrained that it doesn't work for any real SPI devices.

Reply to
krw

My layout guy would shoot me. Memory busses are one thing but length matching for SPI? He'd laugh at me. Then shoot me.

Reply to
krw

We've done matched-length pairs for PCI Express. Nuisance.

It's only one line. How lazy is he really?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My guess would be you couldn't. I got most of the way there with a narrow t rack on a 1.5mm thick Teflon-alumina (microwave material with a low dielect ric constant)substrate. We couldn't even get to 75R with buried (stripline) tracks in FR4 and barely made 90R with surface (microstrip)on a FR4 six-la yer board.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Length matching one line is easy. ;-) It's when that one line splits and each fork is going a different direction, on different planes (oh, you're limiting him to one plane, too?), that life gets tough. No, he wouldn't like it at all. They're not lazy, just have a lot on their plate. I don't want them subbing the work out to Asia, either.

Reply to
krw

Ok, I get that. I didn't get what the serpentine traces were about, but you just mean to lay out traces of matched length.

I worked on an array processor many years ago (a DSP chip in a double wide rack cabinet). They fed clocks to the boards using twisted pair cables across the back plane. Each machine had to be hand tuned which made a nightmare for the field maintenance guys when replacing boards. In the next generation they designed tapped, serpentine traces for the clock so the boards could be tuned rather than the back plane cables.

--

Rick
Reply to

Wake up, Rip, it's 2015. 7 ns *is* slow.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

To my understanding, SPI was designed to carry simple TTL signals across some PCB boards a few centimeters away at around 1 Mbit/s.

If you try to misuse the simple standard for something it was never intended for, you should expect some serious problems doing so (propagation delays, ground potential differences etc).

Reply to
upsidedown

Some SPI goes as fast as 50 MHz, but we're simulating thermocouples and only need to update 8 channels at some 10s of Hz. A 5 MHz SPI clock should be about right.

I'm an engineer. It's my job to make things work. Work the first time, ideally, which is why it's worth simulating something this simple.

I've seen short, point-to-point SPI links mess up.

lunatic fringe electronics

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

We can get about a 90 ohm trace on the top of a 6-layer FR4 board, with the ground plane as layer 2 about 10 mils down. That's a 6 mil trace. A 6 mil trace would be about 50 ohms on an inner layer. I don't see how people can get sensible impedances on inner layers of 12 and 16 layer boards.

Use Rogers. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I could do the Heaviside trick, add an inductor every inch or so.