Special incremental N-position switch?

Imagine the following switch. It has N positions, let's say 5 positions and 5 contacts A, B, C, D, E.

Position 1 does not connect any points. Position 2 connects A and B Position 3 connects A, B, C Position 4 connects A, B, C, D Position 5 connects A, B, C, D, E

This switch would be useful for connecting caps in parallel to get adjustable voltage. Do such sqitches exist and, if so, what are they called? Can I build one from a regular 11 position switch, by some means that I am missing?

thanks

Ignoramus5533

without having about 45 wires all over

Reply to
Ignoramus5533

Forget my question, I got it. I know how to do it

Ignoramus5533

AFAIK that is a specialty for testers (Heathkit, for one). Look in various surplus stores / catalogs; making one would be bitchy unless you are a crafteman witha goodly set of fine tools. Just look at a wafer switch; the outer part, with the contacts is fairly "simple" and can be "stolen" from any switch having the desired contact spacing. However, the rotary contacting / shorting section, is the special part; circular cut-outs just so, then mounted on the rotary wafer correctly, etc. One sample place:

Robert Baer