Speaking of Scientology...

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Bill Maher has similar views.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

One could really have some fun by building a look-alike unit and putting some sort of remote control receiver inside.

Show the test subject some gay p*rn and hit a concealed transmit button and watch the needle jump all over the place.

Perhaps the overly complex circuitry already conceals just such a function.

Matter cannot be created or destroyed, nor can it be returned without a
receipt.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

You'd be better off with a plethysmograph in that case, ;-)

If everything is coming your way then you\'re in the wrong lane.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

From the above page:

"...sells its followers expensive courses which, if students study them carefully, are supposed to set them free ('clear' them)."

In a way, that sounds like an MCSE. ;-)

Error: Keyboard not attached.  Press F1 to continue.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

They're carefully 'designed' to give the results the examiner wants.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

At least with an MCSE you stand a shot at getting a decent-paying job. As far as I can tell, only a very, very few people up at the top of Scientology actually *make* money from it.

Although I suppose that if you're Tom Cruise, it's perhaps almost a symbiotic relationship... he pays them millions, they take him on fancy cruises and keep him in the public's eye, etc.

I have a hypothesis that many people spend money on material goods, their favorite religions, etc. in proportion not so much to the quality of the goods, but rather in proportion to how much money they have to begin with. Scientology is smart in that, if you've got $100 they'll take it and give you some book or phony class, whereas if you've got $1M they'll take it as well

*and give you the red carpet treatment at a gala cruise with a world class buffet, etc.* -- something that you don't get from, e.g., the Mormons.

I knew a guy in college who worked for the alumni foundation doing fund-raising cold calls, and he said their script included initially asking people for $50,000 (!) -- the idea being that if people don't have that kind of money, obviously dropping it is no problem, but starting at, e.g., $100 and working up to $50k is very difficult, even with people who have it. Similar idea, I think...

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

There are times I wish I had lab equipment like that. ;-)

RAM disk is *not* an installation procedure.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

It's certainly an interesting fraud. It makes one wonder if it is repeatable.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Its worked well for Roman Catholics. Look at their churchs.

donald

Reply to
Donald

Where? Our church's budget is consistently in the red (the budget goes to things like supplies, heating, repair, etc.).

Tim

-- "Librarians are hiding something." - Steven Colbert Website @

Tim Williams

The church I survived from childhood ( in Cleceland, Ohio) is one of the largest in the area.

I guess your (church) is not giving enough of a kick back.

I have wondered how that really works.

donald

Reply to
Donald

...Lawsuits...

Reply to
Richard Henry

At its peak back around 1980 Hubbard was making some $4 BILLION per year. How much shit do you think you could stir with that income?

--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK\'s only occult talk show
Presented by Dirk Bruere and Marc Power