Speaker models, speaker drives

** Horse manure.

** Impedance testing can be done in an average room and the results do not vary compared to outdoors or a special chamber.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You had to hook the realtime interrupt, count it down and call the original realtime clock interrupt.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Electronic devices get tested in anechoic chambers. They are electrically anechoic.

Speakers get tested in specifically "acoustically crafted" "sound studios", which are not quite 100% acoustically anechoic, and rarely electronically anechoic.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

** Shame how they are invariably called "anechoic chambers".

** But close enough for the intended purpose and dead quiet.
** So what ??

.... Phli

Reply to
Phil Allison

Except that the coupling from the voice coil terminals to the air in the room is so small (speakers are at most a couple percent efficient), that coupling from the room back to the speaker probably doesn't move the impedance curve that much (certainly not as strongly as a speaker enclosure does).

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Yes, that would have worked. I never bothered as it was just a proof of concept. I don't recall why, but the customer never opted to pay to "commercialize" it meaning have the real programmers do the work. Technology moved pretty fast. I'm sure in a year or so most PCs were being sold with "multi-media" if you remember that, a sound card and a CD drive. lol

--

Rick
Reply to

No, the spring looks like inductance, the innertia looks like capacitance.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Rick
Reply to
rickman

The herd I moved in certainly took it past proof of concept - ah, the Jurassic Age, when TSRs roamed the Earth...

Oh yeah.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Piffle. Evere hear of back EMF?

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Ever heard of enhancement of that effect by the MOVING, spring loaded (coil suspension, foam cone surround) volce coil?

That is why it is NOT a standard "impedance" plot. There is more going on than just back emf.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

If it didn't couple to the air, it wouldn't make any sound. But I take your point that the coupling is so inefficient that you won't see it.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

yes, that's why innertia looks like capacitance,

It looks like inductance on piezo speakers, but those are not being discussed here.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

** At some frequency above 1kHz, the cone of a typical speaker stops moving as a single unit and develops waves travelling across its surface. The fre quency response is no longer smooth and goes up and down depending on the n umber of half waves from the voice coil attachment to the outer edge.

Even this effect fails to show on the impedance curve.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

They aren't 'spring loaded' either.

I have a set of panel speakers for my PC that produce quite well. I bought them 13 years ago. Pretty sure they sell for more now used than they did when I bought them.

They are being called "rare" even in pairs and I have four and a subwoofer. (the sub is not planar of course)

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

So what, that little brass disc it's mounted on just stays deformed for all time?

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

Our stacks were 200 0.5 mm wafers, and it only expanded about 5 mils with several hundreds volts on them.

The were used in micro-precision transitioning lathe heads.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Which stayed deformed for all time?

Which are also commercial piezo speakers? With little brass discs?

Tim