Heathkit clock speaker?

I just managed to get hold of unbuilt Heathkit alarm clock GC-1107. The electrolytics were dry and the speaker is shot. Finding replacement caps was easy, but does anyone here know the impedance of this 2,5" speaker? Is it "normal" 8 ohms or something more exotic?

-Jan

Reply to
Joe

Can't you measure the dc RESISTANCE ? Seems like 3.2 or 4 ohm might be a better match.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Presumably it's the cone which has gone? If so the coil should still be ok so measure the DC resistance. That will be near enough the impedance for a guide. Early small transformer less (output) small transistor amps sometimes used 35 ohm speakers, but they got round this when silicon transistors arrived.

--
Small asylum seeker wanted as mud flap, must be flexible and willing to travel

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

DC resistance IS NOT impedance.

To the OP: it may not be totally correct, but 8 ohms is a valid choice.

Reply to
nobody >

Unfortunately the cone is fine, but the coil reads several megaohms.

-Jan

Reply to
Joe

To clarify the circuit, the postive side of the speaker receives 17 volts thru one diode and a resistor and the negative side is connected via transistor to ground and the transistor is driven by 4001 IC.

Reply to
Joe

The speaker is used as the collector load for am MPSA20 transistor, and supplied by an 18V source. The only "audio" from the speaker is a square wave from the clock chip.

I haven't looked up the max collector current for the MPSA20, but you need to consult the datasheet for that, and calc the impedance for the speaker from that. I'd suggest something like a 100-ohm speaker for this clock.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end, the faster
it goes.
Reply to
DaveM

"Joe" schreef in bericht news:48d2a8de$0$23608$ snipped-for-privacy@news.fv.fi...

Is it an ordinary electromagnetic speaker? Can't it be some of that piezo parts? A 17Vpp is pretty high. Too high for a low impedance 2.5" speaker. Try to connect some audio oscillator to it. If you hear nothing at 1kHz/10V then the speaker is really gone.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

What value resitor? What's the part number on the speaker?

I just happen to have the manual for a similar Heathkit GC-1005 "Electronic Clock" handy. No specs on the speaker (401-163). The circuit is similar in that the speaker has one lead going to the collector of an MPS-A20 and the other to 18.5VAC (not DC) through a diode and 1200 uf to ground for a DC voltage of 25.7VDC. No resistor in series.

So, let's do the math. My guess(tm) is that 1 watt will be sufficiently loud to wake the dead. Yours has about a 15VDC swing. Assuming a 50% duty cycle and a pure sine wave (yeah sure): Power = E^2 / R 1 watt = 15^2 / R R = 225 ohms. So, it's probably a high impedance speaker of some sorts. I have the digital clock and an LRC meter and could probably measure the impedance. If you can't get the info any other way, bug me and I'll rip it apart.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Sound quality certainly hasn't been a high priority on any radio alarm clock I've ever had so maybe you should concentrate on what *IS* important on a radio alarm clock - the speaker should be loud enough and the output devices should not overheat at maximum volume. If an 8 Ohm works - is loud enough and doesn't overheat anything then fine, otherwise 16 Ohm aren't that hard to find - 35 Ohm do exist but are harder to find.

Reply to
ian field

A good clue as to whether its a piezo sounder is that some other component would provide a DC path for the collector of the driver transistor - maybe an inductor or just a resistor if its a real cheapie.

Reply to
ian field

Isn't it easier just to look at it? A piezo sounder looks nothing like a moving coil speaker.

--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can\'t shoot at them?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The manual is available here,

I assume the OP has it but for others trying to help in the manual the speaker looks like a normal moving coil speaker

Reply to
Archon

Reply to
mac-g3

Yes, it is a normal, paper cone speaker. And to clarify further, this is not a clock/radio.

-Jan

Reply to
Joe

Yes, thanks I am aware of this. I have several Heathkits at home. It is not a question of needing just a clock, but having a working Heathkit from 1978 ;-)

-Jan

Reply to
Joe

Speaker is a 401-163 Resistor is 150 ohm

-Jan

Reply to
Joe

Ok the speakers are the same. 225 - 150 = 75 ohms which would be my guess for the proper speaker impedance. I don't know what value to suggest based on these calcs. I guess I have to meaure it. That's going to be rough because the speaker is UNDER the PCB. Give me an hour or so.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Done. The speaker measures 41.5 ohms DC resistance. I'm too lazy to measure the inductance, but my guess(tm) is that added inductance will raise the impedance to somewhere between 50 and 60 ohms. Standard impedances (from the Digikey search page) are 40, 45, 48, and 60 ohms. I'm at a loss as to where you would find such a speaker, but at least you have a better clue as to what to search for. For a temporary kludge, the impedance of many headsets are in this range. Sony headsets tend to be about 45 ohms.

Incidentally, I plugged in my GC-1005. It made a loud noise and only the NE-2 lamp lit. Looks like yet another repair project. Sigh.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks a million, appreciate your effort very much!

-Jan

Reply to
Joe