Sound level circuit

Hi experts,

I need a circuit to measure engine noise. At the moment I have a electret mic and some simple analogue filtering to give me the frequency range but I then have to do a lot of processing on the microcontroller.

I've seen LM3915 type ICs that give 10 outputs over a range of dBs, is there a simple way or other ICs that can give me better resolution.

I'm using the mic to monitor if the engine in running and need an output that gives a range of about 1000 steps resolution.

Thanks in advance

Mark.

Reply to
Medic

10 bit ADC?
Reply to
John Fields

Maybe you want a precision rectifier, LPF and analog log circuit? It's not entirely clear to me what you are up to.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Why?

1db is typically inaudible, so 100 steps would usually be just fine.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

you can buy a sound level meter at radio shack for $50

Mark

Reply to
Mark