Somewhat OT: Consulting agreement in foreign language ok?

I see it similarly, whoever comes here can be and should be expected to learn English. And I do not see any reason why we are forced to display lots of stuff in Spanish and English. This is an English-speaking country.

But ... this is a new client and they are located overseas. In that case one cannot expect same and I think that our bureaucrats and the laws should recognize that we are not alone in the world. There are countries where people to not speak English.

So I sent a translation and placed an extra paragraph in both languages underneath, that I translated from the English version "to the best of my knowledge". That ought to do. If some bureaucrat doesn't like that, oh well :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

thinking and

after

Yep. That was a nice spin off from Trident Passive Parts Program circa

1975 to 1985. Modern stuff does amazing things by comparison.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

and

after

English.

How about India? It has many official languages, over 20 with scripts and over 20 without scripts. And the main official language is that of an invader, Great Britain.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

The US main official language is also that of an invader, England.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

"Client overseas" does put a different light on it. Still, would recommend basic contract in English, with copy in 2nd language and large print noting it is a copy translated from English "to the best of my knowledge" and including a note that the English version shall predominate/rule where any apparent conflicts occur (or something on that line). Also a statement like all litigation and legal interpretation shall be in accordance with (name of courts in your STATE). Should be easy to find boilerplate like that.

  • In any case, it would be impossible to enforce any contract made with entity outside US, if push comes to shove.
Reply to
Robert Baer

Not according to the British. They rarely understand what we're talking about. :)

enough left over to pay them.

   Sometimes Friday is just the fifth Monday of the week. :(
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's both there but they can't sign a contract in English if they don't understand it. Just like you certainly wouldn't sign a contract in Swahili.

That's been in there forever, and is now also in the foreign language version.

Even with many entities inside the US it isn't. Some companies run bare bones from a financial POV.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

If it's gotten to the point of a court battle you've lost. The lawsuit is just a way of getting a few pennies on your dollar.

This gets back to my three useful things that a contract does, with avoiding dispute being of prime value and winning a lawsuit being a distant third.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

[...]

My main goal can be summed up into one item: Liability protection. The main point in there for the client is IP protection. Those are IMHO the only two points that matter. The rest, well, as my former boss once put it: A contract is only as good as the willingness of the parties to stick to it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Amen to that!!! Naturally, at court time, the ONLY winner(s) are the lawyers.

Reply to
Robert Baer