Solder sniffers beware,,, lead = bad

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Thanks. Fat slows digestion (gastric emptying, specifically) and reportedly improves satiety, so it seems there's some heathful basis for Italians dipping their bread in olive oil.

Except for walnut, though, the oils you mention are _not_ good sources of the necessary essential fatty acids / oils (EFAs are oils). These light oil fractions spoil quite easily, and so are ordinarily deliberately removed from olive and canola oil during refining. Necessary, for cooking use, but not helpful for brains.

The Durham Research Council spells out their exact protocol. EPA, DHA, GLA. Basically, it's certain fish and primrose oils.

For the teen, scaled to the kid's weight, it amounts to

2g of _concentrated_ omega-3s (or 4g unrefined) from fish and one primrose capsule, per day. I figure ideally it would be twice that, but the kid balks.

From food there are precious few good sources, chiefly cold-water fish (salmon, fatty tuna). Grass-fed animals. Chickens that eat bugs. Grain-fed animals are poor sources.

Flaxseed, walnuts, and chia seeds have ample short-chain plant-based versions (ALA) of the fatty acids, but your body will only convert 10-20% to the needed long-chain (animal) forms.

For anyone interested, see the Durham Research Council site. They're really good folks, and it's written in plain language.

Best, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

"James Arthur" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@c51g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... : On Mar 8, 8:21 pm, "Dave Moore" wrote: : > "James Arthur" wrote in messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... : >

: > : On Mar 7, 1:29 pm, "Xtrchessreal" wrote: : > : : > : > 30 Years later I was researching my newly diagnosed ADHD and : > : > found that mercury poisoning is suspected as a cause. : > : : > : I knew of a late-teen with severe ADHD, on medication since age 8. : > : Extensive review of the medical literature, and knowledge of the : > : teen's diet led me to suspect deficiency of essential fatty acids : > : as a primary cause. Essential fatty acids are essential to : > : adolescent growth, and to brain function. : > : : > : Encouraged by the success at: : > : : > :

: > : : > : an experiment was instituted with fatty acid supplements 20 : > : months ago (end of June, 2005). : > : : > : The teen stopped all medication. Life was hell for two weeks, : > : then slowly improved over the next four weeks. : > : : > : The teen promptly grew from 5 ft to 5 ft 5.5 over the summer. : > : That's : > : 5 1/2 inches in three months. : > : : > : The kid now has complete relief of all ADHD, taking no : > : drugs. The kid is just a normal, cool, super-smart kid. As long : > : as the supplements are taken, that is. Kids being kids, : > : often the supplements are forgotten; symptoms return : > : over the next couple days. It's quite obvious. Restarting : > : the supplements fixes it. Always. : > : : > : We also feel utter elimination of hydrgenated oils important, as : > : those compete with--and are preferentially utilized by the brain : > : over--the supplements, yet do not function as required. : > : : > : Cheers, : > : James Arthur : >

: > Interesting info, thanks. I've found a tip that I'll relay. : > The trick is to sip a tablespoon of canola ,walnut, or olive oil, : > or some other (high in essential fatty acids) oil, about : > 30 minutes before a meal. : > Supposedly this helps to release CCK : > hormone which in turn signals the brain that it's satisfied. : > Supposedly, you'll eat less 30 minutes later when meal : > time comes. Certainly it couldn't hurt and may just have : > other benefits. : : Thanks. Fat slows digestion (gastric emptying, specifically) : and reportedly improves satiety, so it seems there's some : heathful basis for Italians dipping their bread in olive oil. : : Except for walnut, though, the oils you mention are _not_ : good sources of the necessary essential fatty acids / oils : (EFAs are oils). These light oil fractions spoil quite easily, : and so are ordinarily deliberately removed from olive and : canola oil during refining. Necessary, for cooking use, : but not helpful for brains. : : The Durham Research Council spells out their exact : protocol. EPA, DHA, GLA. Basically, it's certain fish : and primrose oils. : : For the teen, scaled to the kid's weight, it amounts to : 2g of _concentrated_ omega-3s (or 4g unrefined) from : fish and one primrose capsule, per day. I figure ideally : it would be twice that, but the kid balks. : : From food there are precious few good sources, : chiefly cold-water fish (salmon, fatty tuna). Grass-fed : animals. Chickens that eat bugs. Grain-fed : animals are poor sources. : : Flaxseed, walnuts, and chia seeds have ample : short-chain plant-based versions (ALA) of the fatty : acids, but your body will only convert 10-20% to the : needed long-chain (animal) forms. : : For anyone interested, see the Durham Research : Council site. They're really good folks, and it's written : in plain language. : :

: : Best, : James Arthur

Thanks, I'll check it out. I already eat Salmon pretty regularly. Great brian food,, except for the mercury content which dulls the brian )`:

So I've taken to on occasion chopping up salmon and cilantro together with a bit of mayo on bread. Guess it's what might be considered a Mexican tuna samich. :

Reply to
Dave Moore

can

There

used

asthma,

benign

Zinc Chloride is used in plumbers flux, ie Acid flux paste. Not something you want on or near electronics, even wires for that matter.

Reply to
Jeff L

More than a few people have mentioned that to Cowell.

Evidentally he is too stupid to listen.

Reply to
Claude V. Lucas

You dumbasses can't even Wiki, can you?

Traditional rosin fluxes are available in non-activated (R), mildly activated (RMA) and activated (RA) formulations. RA and RMA fluxes contain rosin combined with an activating agent, typically an acid, which increases the wettability of metals to which it is applied by removing existing oxides. The residue resulting from the use of RA flux is corrosive and must be cleaned off the piece being soldered. RMA flux is formulated to result in a residue which is not significantly corrosive, with cleaning being preferred but optional.

I have a jar of RMA rosin flux... I assure you that it contains zinc chloride. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

: >> > ... : >> >

: >> >>> Anyway, finally, it dawned on me that perhaps : >> >>> 30 years involved in electronics with a good : >> >>> 20 of them heavily involved in prototyping guitar : >> >>> amp designs, might have taken it's toll. So I did some : >> >>> research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms : >> >>> just might well be those of lead poisoning. : >> >

: >> > ... : >> >

: >> >> Lead as a metal does not fume at soldering temperatures, such that it : > can : >> >> be ingested in that way. The fumes and vapour that you see when : >> >> soldering, are from the flux contained in the solder, burning away. : > There : >> >> is some evidence that prolongued exposure to the rosin based fluxes : > used : >> >> to date, can cause respiratory tract ailments such as industrial : > asthma, : >> >> and may in extreme circumstances be carcinogenic. : >> >

: >> > Rosin has Zinc Chloride in it... I've been poisoned with : >> > zinc before (welding) and you need to drink milk for : >> > the chelating calcium in it. Bad sick headache... not sure : >> > of prolonged low-level exposure, but fume hoods are nice. : >> > __ : >> > Steve : >> > . : >> >

: >> That's a new one on me. I had always understood rosin to be a fairly : > benign : >> material - at least when not heated up - made from naturally occuring : >> pine : >> resin. Is the zinc chloride something that has been added in to make the : >> rosin suitable for some specific purpose ? : >>

: >> Arfa : >>

: >>

: >

: > Zinc Chloride is used in plumbers flux, ie Acid flux paste. Not something : > you want on or near electronics, even wires for that matter. : : You dumbasses can't even Wiki, can you? : :

: : : Traditional rosin fluxes are available in non-activated (R), mildly : activated (RMA) and activated (RA) formulations. RA and RMA fluxes contain : rosin combined with an activating agent, typically an acid, which increases : the wettability of metals to which it is applied by removing existing : oxides. The residue resulting from the use of RA flux is corrosive and must : be cleaned off the piece being soldered. RMA flux is formulated to result in : a residue which is not significantly corrosive, with cleaning being : preferred but optional. : : : I have a jar of RMA rosin flux... I assure you that it : contains zinc chloride. : __ : Steve

Naw Steve, what you have is a psychomatic hallucination induced by the power of suggestion ;-)

Reply to
Dave Moore

I think it's a lot simpler than that. People try to do a lot more at once than they used to. All that multi-tasking makes us absent-minded.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

Would that it were that simple an analysis. It is not a case of being absent minded. It is genuine short term memory loss. If you don't understand what it is that I am talking about, then I reckon that you are lucky enough not to suffer from it ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Well, I'm not saying you aren't suffering from something real. But I think a lot of people are simply trying to do too much at once. I also think there's a lot of mental hypochondria in our society. I know a lot of people who fret about age-related memory loss every time they forget where they put their car keys, when in reality they were forgetting where their car keys were in when they were in their 20s, too. It's just once people get old they start to worry it's a sign of some kind of disease.

Reply to
David Brodbeck

Yes, I live a busy life, and yes, I usually have a lot going on in my head, and yes, I'm no longer a kid, but it's not a case of things like putting down your car keys and then forgetting where. I can be in conversation with someone, and be prompted for something I've got to say when it comes back to me to speak, and zap! pow! it's gone, just like it was never there in the first place, but the annoying thing is I know that it was. My wife has just the same thing. Even my kids to a lesser extent ( 23, 21 and 20 ) Based on this, I would think, as you probably do, that either we are all going doolally, or being poisoned by something in the house, but I have many friends who seem to have identical problems. The phrase " oh it's just short term memory loss ! " comes up from people again and again, but I don't recall the problem being like this not so many years ago ( that's long term memory, and we are all just as sharp at that as we ever were ). My mother who is in her 80s doesn't seem to have the problem, but understands what it is, and says that she has no recollection of it existing in the past.

Maybe it is just a modern " pressures of life " thing, but it doesn't 'feel' like it somehow, and if it's not, are we just the first generation of some as yet unidentified cumulative food-packaging poisoning or some such, that's only gonna get worse ??

Are those people that you know who " fret " about age related memory loss really doing just that, or are they actually suffering something real that they too can feel to not be just general absent minded-ism which of course we do all suffer from sometimes ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Uh, what were we talking about? ;-)

If you were a pothead, you'd have learnt how to deal with short-term memory loss. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

Hey Rich - perhaps that's it !! Errrm, what is ....??? What *were* we talking about ...??? Oh yes. Perhaps there's so much pot smoking going on now, that we're all suffering from second-hand smoke inhalation. Good theory !! d;~]

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

One of my campaign slogans is: "Marijuana is chemotherapy for the cancer of big government!"

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippi

And if only the hyped hysteria about that plant would simply die out, just perhaps it could be decriminalized AND most of the practical uses of that plant could also be implemented to partially impede some global warming.

Reply to
Elvis Kabong

Except then we wouldn't *care* if we could remember stuff. ;)

Reply to
David Brodbeck

What were we talking about .... ??

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

its mercury, not lead that made hatters go mad, and its charcoal caps with lots of water that will purge the poison from the body, not selenium. but lead causes permanent brain damage, its not reversible.

Reply to
mykeymykey01

That's quite apparent, from reading much of your advice posted at alt.home-theater.misc

Jeff

Reply to
1shado1

I mentioned the lead problem that techs have, and my doc has now added an extra blood test to make sure I am not getting too much of the stuff.

- Tim -

Reply to
Tim