Solder sniffers beware,,, lead = bad

: >> ... : >>

: >>>> Anyway, finally, it dawned on me that perhaps : >>>> 30 years involved in electronics with a good : >>>> 20 of them heavily involved in prototyping guitar : >>>> amp designs, might have taken it's toll. So I did some : >>>> research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms : >>>> just might well be those of lead poisoning. : >>

: >> ... : >>

: >>> Lead as a metal does not fume at soldering temperatures, such that it can : >>> be ingested in that way. The fumes and vapour that you see when : >>> soldering, are from the flux contained in the solder, burning away. There : >>> is some evidence that prolongued exposure to the rosin based fluxes used : >>> to date, can cause respiratory tract ailments such as industrial asthma, : >>> and may in extreme circumstances be carcinogenic. : >>

: >> Rosin has Zinc Chloride in it... I've been poisoned with : >> zinc before (welding) and you need to drink milk for : >> the chelating calcium in it. Bad sick headache... not sure : >> of prolonged low-level exposure, but fume hoods are nice. : >> __ : >> Steve : >> . : >>

: > That's a new one on me. I had always understood rosin to be a fairly benign : > material - at least when not heated up - made from naturally occuring pine : > resin. Is the zinc chloride something that has been added in to make the : > rosin suitable for some specific purpose ? : >

: > Arfa : : Man have I woofed up volumes of "solder smoke" over the 25+ years on the : bench. I used to love walking into the shop on a cold clear morning and : waft in the mixture of rosin, pipe, and cigar smoke floating through the : air. There is nothing wrong with me these days, just ask my son, either : head will tell you so. : : -- : Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004 : : COOSN-266-06-25794

I suppose it should be mentioned that soder for electronic work to my knowledge doesn't have zinc Chloride in it. I made the mistake of using some flux with Zinc Chloride in it years ago on a circuit. It took me quite awhile to troubleshoot why it didn't work right down to it's root cause, the conductivity of the zinc on the PCB )`: : :

Reply to
Dave Moore

: > Not long ago I started noticing that when I would : > play the guitar I was missing a lot of the strings. : > Also I was doing weird stuff like bumping into : > the edges of doorways on occasion, : > instead of gracefully passing through them. : > Sometimes when standing still, it would feel like : > my feet were sliding apart in this kinda weird : > almost spinning sensation. Sometimes numbness : > in the hands. : >

: > Anyway, finally, it dawned on me that perhaps : > 30 years involved in electronics with a good : > 20 of them heavily involved in prototyping guitar : > amp designs, might have taken it's toll. So I did some : > research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms : > just might well be those of lead poisoning. : : I would have thought that this would have happened much sooner than 30 : years. : : -- : Pierre Salinger Memorial Hook, Line & Sinker, June 2004 : : COOSN-266-06-25794

Why so? Metal toxicity is cumulative no? To me that means it ain't a problem until it *is* a problem :-)

Reply to
Dave Moore

If that was the case, I don't think I would have recouperated the way I did.

Reply to
Dave Moore

"Xtrchessreal" wrote

: When I was about 10 my dad brought home a bottle of pure Mercury. He : showed us how cool it was on a steel plate and warned us not to touch : it. Nice of him huh?

When I was young, whilst visiting a small vacuum tube factory in California, the electronic engineer friend of the family let us kids play with a can of mercury. It was fun to stick your hand in the can and feel it's viscosity. Then we all got to stick our hands in again with silver dimes and dollars.

Reply to
Dave Moore

: > Not long ago I started noticing that when I would : > play the guitar I was missing a lot of the strings. : > Also I was doing weird stuff like bumping into : > the edges of doorways on occasion, : > instead of gracefully passing through them. : > Sometimes when standing still, it would feel like : > my feet were sliding apart in this kinda weird : > almost spinning sensation. Sometimes numbness : > in the hands. : >

: > Anyway, finally, it dawned on me that perhaps : > 30 years involved in electronics with a good : > 20 of them heavily involved in prototyping guitar : > amp designs, might have taken it's toll. So I did some : > research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms : > just might well be those of lead poisoning. : >

: > To make a long story short, for the last couple : > of months I've been munching mass quantities : > of Cilantro, about 1 bunch/day. : > Also I've been supplementing with selenium. : >

: > Both supposedly have chelating agents in them that : > can help rid the body of metals. : > Anyway, after about 2 month's of this, I am noticing : > my coordination has improved immensely : > when playing the guitar, and no more : > weird numbness or spinning sensations as of late. : >

: > I suppose this is all a bit anecdotal, but thought I'd relay : > my experience anyway FWIW. : >

: > I also read about how lead poisoning was what : > made the Hat makers go mad and is where the : > expression "Mad Hatter" came from. : >

: > This struck me a bit funny since my wife : > and I have an animal shelter for cats. I'm : > thinking about changing my screen name to : > "The Mad Catter" :-) : >

: > BTW, also I have a lot of dental fillings : > starting to break lose, so I have to wonder : > if some of the metal toxicity might also be : > a result of mercury from crumbling amalgum. : >

: > At any rate, whatever the cause, heaping servings : > of Cilantro and a supplement of selenium seem : > to be keeping it in check. : > I plan to look into Chlorella which also is : > purported to have chelating properties. : : Before you start fooling around with dangerous selenium compounds read : this excerpt from on the the selenium compound MSDS sheets. Animals : have died from eating plants containing as little as 5 PPM of : selenium. Just recently there was a recall because some company : accidentally let sunburned potatoes be bagged and sold to the : consumer. Not nice stuff at all! : : Selenium compounds are poison by inhalation and intravenous routes. : Some selenium compounds are experimental carcinogens. : Long-term exposure may be a cause of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis in : humans, just as it may cause "blind staggers" in cattle. : Elemental Selenium has low acute systemic toxicity, but dust or fumes : can cause serious irritation of the respiratory tract. Inorganic : selenium compounds can cause dermatitis. Garlic odor of breath is a : common symptom. Pallor, nervousness, depression, digestive : disturbances and death have been reported in cases of chronic exposure : (Sax, Dangerous Properties of Industrial Materials, eighth : edition).

The selenium I'm taking is in the form of brewers yeast. So I imagine, the biggest danger might be spontaneous effervessence. :

[...]

: >

: >

: If i remember correctly, selenium is a poison also, and presumedly it : makes your sweat smell like a stinky skunk.

Oh,,, So that's why all them thar critters bin a'fallerin me.

Reply to
Dave Moore

It is cumulative but does the body not pass small amounts over a period of time?

COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

Just have a blood test. I have been using solder for 30 years and have been tested in the last few years twice and no problem found. I suspect the smoke from the resin is more of a health issue than the lead.

Leonard

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 2471 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

? ? ?

Ooook ??

Reply to
Arfa Daily

snip

The water bottle syndrome is a fascinating one, and I'm certain it's an affectation or posing thing---- "Look at me, I'm sooooo healthy"

It's mainly younger folk, but they seem utterly unable to move about the workplace without dragging along their water bottle. I did a little private survey a while ago, and did observe some correlation between those who habitually carry water bottles and poorer performance. No, it was not very scientific and it was a sample of about 25, but it was far from true that "constant rehydration" equals a sharper mind, as is often espoused.

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

of

Like smoking is partly psychological crutch and partly chemical addiction. I reckon this water bottle nonsense is the same with phthalate instead of nicotine.

I blame the teachers (in the UK anyway) who've been brainwashed by some commercial operation called "Brain Gym". Admittedly I've only asked one primary level teacher and he could see nothing perverse/unfounded claptrap, in added water etc to increase cognitive ability/ reduced ADHD or whatever psychobabble.

N Cook

: snip : : >

: >The modern version is phthalate poisoning from leaching out of plastic : >packaging and bottles. I have an industrial chemist friend in the food : >industry , seriously concerned about this. I am coming to agree with him. : >When I was young you never saw youngsters with bottles (glass or plastic) : >hanging out of their mouths all the time. Anyone would think the function of : >these ubiquitous bottles of water was psychological, like baby's dummies. : : The water bottle syndrome is a fascinating one, and I'm certain it's : an affectation or posing thing---- "Look at me, I'm sooooo healthy" : : It's mainly younger folk, but they seem utterly unable to move about : the workplace without dragging along their water bottle. I did a : little private survey a while ago, and did observe some correlation : between those who habitually carry water bottles and poorer : performance. No, it was not very scientific and it was a sample of : about 25, but it was far from true that "constant rehydration" equals : a sharper mind, as is often espoused. : : Barry

Did you hear about that woman that OD'd on water and died as a result of water drinking contest recently?

Reply to
Dave Moore

Years ago Col. Cooper, a writer, teacher and former marine was driving into town and noticed a young woman waiting to cross the street standing with her arms crossed with a cell phone in one hand and a bottle of water in the other. He riffed amusingly on what sort of perilous and adventurous life she must lead that she should need to have water in hand at all times. What exotic sphere of life did she occupy that she should need to be ready to communicate across great distances at a moments notice. One might wonder.

Ron

Effect pedal demo's up at

RonSonic

Sounds too good to be true! You got a URL for that?

Reply to
Barry Lennox

I suspect a parallel universe link to the Sahara Desert

Incidentally, I suggested that to one of the worst "water bottle carriers" where I once worked. She looked at me like I was quite mad.

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Also, what about the germs and dirt, etc on the used surfaces that are used, constantly growing into a possible biohazard? Have seen some articles that indicate such practices should actually be banned (but they did have their own agenda, so who knows how "good" those articles were).

Reply to
Robert Baer

of

It's not all that uncommon. Google "water intoxication". A high percentage of marathoners and "Iron Man" contestants end up with water intoxication, which looks like dehydration causing them to drink more water...

--
  Keith
Reply to

"RonSonic" carked:

: On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 02:56:52 -0600, "Dave Moore" wrote: : : >Damn, for almost a week I have been forgetting to : >post about my recent experience. So, since : >I finally remembered; : >

: > Not long ago I started noticing that when I would : >play the guitar I was missing a lot of the strings. : >Also I was doing weird stuff like bumping into : >the edges of doorways on occasion, : >instead of gracefully passing through them. : > Sometimes when standing still, it would feel like : >my feet were sliding apart in this kinda weird : >almost spinning sensation. Sometimes numbness : >in the hands. : >

: > Anyway, finally, it dawned on me that perhaps : >30 years involved in electronics with a good : >20 of them heavily involved in prototyping guitar : >amp designs, might have taken it's toll. So I did some : >research online and discovered that indeed my symptoms : >just might well be those of lead poisoning.

: So have you considered just getting a test done? There are real systems for : Dx-ing and treating that sort of thing that don't involve guessing and eating : odd weeds.

Your concern is heart warming. I'm beklept.

: : I believe it was mercury that got the hatmakers. : : Are we to blame lead for some of the blithering rage, inchoate hatreds and : shrieking, unending verbal spewage that we are subjected to around here.

So now you wanna blame lead poisoning for you and your cohorts abuses of the good people of this newsgroup calling them traitors, aiders and abbettors of terrorists, gutless cowards, dupes of liberal media etc., etc., not to mention the underhanded and offensive snide remarks about Canadians, the French, the Germans, etc., etc.

Sorry, but if MassiveProng is right, it's doubtful you'll be able to use the side effects of lead toxicity as a scapegoat.

Although I must say, your apparent memory loss of the aformentioned does make for a compelling case.

: : They say it was the lead that caused house painters to become the drunks that : they historically were. Is this refuted by the fact that so many painters are : still drunks even though the lead is gone. Does it explain more of the drinking : habits of some of our players around here. : : Get the fillings replaced with composite while you're at it. There's enough : idiocy here already. : : Ron

Er, and just how will composite in my teeth cause you to leave?:

Reply to
Dave Moore

I knew of a late-teen with severe ADHD, on medication since age 8. Extensive review of the medical literature, and knowledge of the teen's diet led me to suspect deficiency of essential fatty acids as a primary cause. Essential fatty acids are essential to adolescent growth, and to brain function.

Encouraged by the success at:

an experiment was instituted with fatty acid supplements 20 months ago (end of June, 2005).

The teen stopped all medication. Life was hell for two weeks, then slowly improved over the next four weeks.

The teen promptly grew from 5 ft to 5 ft 5.5 over the summer. That's

5 1/2 inches in three months.

The kid now has complete relief of all ADHD, taking no drugs. The kid is just a normal, cool, super-smart kid. As long as the supplements are taken, that is. Kids being kids, often the supplements are forgotten; symptoms return over the next couple days. It's quite obvious. Restarting the supplements fixes it. Always.

We also feel utter elimination of hydrgenated oils important, as those compete with--and are preferentially utilized by the brain over--the supplements, yet do not function as required.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Interesting info, thanks. I've found a tip that I'll relay. The trick is to sip a tablespoon of canola ,walnut, or olive oil, or some other (high in essential fatty acids) oil, about

30 minutes before a meal. Supposedly this helps to release CCK hormone which in turn signals the brain that it's satisfied. Supposedly, you'll eat less 30 minutes later when meal time comes. Certainly it couldn't hurt and may just have other benefits. :
Reply to
Dave Moore