Solar cell

back.

=20

Don, it is time to get very numeric. So far it is "they say, we say".

Reply to
JosephKK

which in

of

is

=20

There is a dimensions problem here, a one time cost is being compared with a per unit time return without doing any conversions.

If you think it is so easy, go into business and undercut all the others by half the difference and get rich.

Reply to
JosephKK

inverter, of

market is

mature

watt

some.

=20

now.

Don't you mean century before last?

Reply to
JosephKK

federal funds.

analysis.

peak

a new

(The

liquid

machines.)

other

foot

Fresnel

energy

and=20

=20

This is not table salt, but a very different compound. The energy storage is in a phase change operation rather than a temperature increase. The material use does not become a strong ionic conductor before melting but at rather higher than melting temperatures. My dad was looking into similar operations for household heating and cooling some twenty plus years ago.

Reply to
JosephKK

=20

=20

4x7=20

=20

the=20

=20

cost=20

of

it

cycle=20

=20

=20

heat=20

=20

=20

Nope, the heat transfer fluid is something else. See my previous post.

Reply to
JosephKK

kW=20

=20

suns. =20

=20

end=20

=20

4x7=20

new=20

the=20

=20

cheap=20

cost=20

kind of

like it

:-)

cycle=20

you=20

molten=20

on=20

heat=20

than=20

entity),

functional.

costs=20

No. Transport is a different material. Storage is phase change salt.

No, as previously described in other posts a phase change heat storage mechanism.

Reply to
JosephKK

=20

technology=20

the=20

and=20

=20

=20

Thompson

design.=20

get=20

:-)

weenie

=20

=20

entity),

functional.

=20

=20

=20

storage.

Not at all, the energy storage is in the liquid - solid phase change, and the system is designed accordingly.

BTW thanks for reading the site more than i did, you just confirmed my initial impression of just what the technology is.

Reply to
JosephKK

=20

technology=20

the=20

and=20

=20

=20

Thompson

design.=20

get=20

:-)

weenie

=20

=20

entity),

functional.

=20

=20

=20

storage.

Not so. The idea is storing energy in the phase change of the "salt". It is designed accordingly. Select your (hydrocarbon ?) working fluid for appropriate working temperature liquid range, or incorporate phase change in the design.

Reply to
JosephKK

fluid=20

=20

driver=20

=20

Yep, water steam gets squirrely at 450 C an breaks down in the presence of iron at 600 C. =20

Silicone oil seems reasonable for this, though i wonder about its per degree energy transport. Maybe they are using phase change there as well? It gets kind of weird if the phase change of the storage salt is similar to the phase change of the transport fluid.

Reply to
JosephKK

I have often wondered if we couldn't get all the know-how of this group (SED) and just design a general purpose, high efficiency inverter of say 100 amp capacity, and then just put the design in the public domain and say "Go Build This!" and squash the over-priced inverter market. Of course, the real costs for a product like this are not building it, or designing it, but the legal and regulatory costs to get all the liability and certifications...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I think the Chinese will get there even without our help. Look at how dirt cheap 12V DC->120V "modified square wave" AC inverters are meant for powering laptops and DVD players or whatever in cars/RVs...

Of course the quality of some of them is truly atrocious as well. Somewhere I recall seeing a web page where a guy pulled on apart and pointed out how woefully underspec'd many of the components were... :-)

With some luck and some decent design companies, the quality problem should go away too (crossing fingers...).

Reply to
Joel Koltner

2010 08:57:14 -0700) it happened Don Lancaster

nds.

Sounds like a better idea would be to gather weeds, grass clippings, rice hulls/other ag waste, tree branches and fallen trees and burn them for fuel...?

Cheaper use of solar energy...

Michael

Reply to
Michael

dirt

ring

where I

This link?

ld go

Michael

Reply to
Michael

The numerics come from the utilities.

Not one of which is using conventional pv for net energy peaking, because the costs are obscenely gh by two orders of magnitude.

Numerics appear at

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

No, I mean pre-Government Motors.

Reply to
krw

..

one: (928)428-4073

text -

Doesn't history show that successful technologies are successful pretty much right out of the gate? Those that take decades generally don't make it at all.

In other words, winners are easy to spot.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

e:

.

back.

.

It would also bankrupt the cooling fan manufacturers, courtesy of Skybuck. :)

Reply to
mpm

text -

eg nuclear?

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

inverter, of

power

market is

mature

watt

some.

will=20

subsidies now.

That is just a significant uptick in the steady progression towards ne'er-do-wells being officially made equal to productive people.

Reply to
JosephKK

federal

years.

then to

back.

an

pv

in

of

systems,

produced.

Sure, there are some "numbers" there, but absolutely no backup. No traceably to where anything came from. I meant engineering numerical or accountant numerical, not politician numerical.

Reply to
JosephKK