Solar Arrays and Subpumps

A museum I help with recently installed a solar array, 3x4'?. They attached a inexpensive small subpump to it to pump water from a pond up about 18" and then let it pour out in a waterfall fashion. The motor burned up after a day or two. Why? I don't know much about solar arrays, but aren't they rated at some dc voltage and amperage? Apparently, they don't act like a battery and draw current. I'm guessing that the reason for it is that the array produced more amps than needed at various times of the day. Admittedly, I'm guessing here, so please straighten me out.

--
                          Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

Was there a battery attached? If not, what sort of voltage regulator did you use? Was the pump run submerged?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Expensive lesson! In fact, they do not behave like a battery. A nominal 12v solar panel could have an open-circuit voltage around 21V. A controller is generally required, whether you have a battery attached or not, to regulate the voltage on the output.

A common model for a solar cell is a diode in parallel with a current source. Put together in a panel, it ends up looking something like this:

Terran Melconian

--
                          Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

I suspect the museum got some freebie subpumps for this effot from a local hardware store. I hope!!

Yes, I suspected that it looks more like a current source than voltage source. The c> >> A museum I help with recently installed a solar array, 3x4'?. They attached

--
                          Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

Like hooking up a V-8 to a lawnmower and cranking the throttle wide open then.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

You probably need some sort of regulator. Voltage or current.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I think you have your concepts confused, that is voltage and amperage. A device will never "Draw" more amperage than it needs, but if you supply too much voltage it will destroy the device. The likely problem is that your solar panel is supplying too much voltage for your pump and is burning it out. The solution is to get a voltage regulator of the same voltage that the pump is rated for.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

You're probably right about the voltage, but I believe another poster said it (array) was a current source. Doesn't a current source "draws" voltage in the same manner that a voltage source "draws" current?

If I have a wall wart that is rated at 12v dc and 1 amp, and I attach a device requiring 12v and 0.5 amps, then it will work fine. If the device instead requires 2 amps, it isn't going to work at all. It can't draw 2 amps (perhaps it has a current regulator?).

If instead, I have a device that's a current source, it will try to "draw" the needed voltage. Applying this to the array, then it will try to draw more voltage than allowable if there is no regulator to constrain it. Maybe this has nothing to do with "drawing".

Voltage/current regulator? Is there such a th>> I suspect the museum got some freebie subpumps for this effot from a local

--
                          Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

                     Web Page:
Reply to
W. Watson

Think of the solar array as a 20 volt battery, until loaded to its maximum current rating.

There are both voltage and current regulators. You probably need the standard shunt regulator that will load the solar panel as needed to keep the voltage within acceptable limits.

What are the maximum voltage and current ratings of the solar panel? You will need this information to get the correct regulator.

Prices start about $30 for the smaller 12 volt units:

John

Reply to
John