Social Media Distancing

There seems to be a relative lack of regard in the US for the need to isola te yourselves to minimize the spread of COVID-19. China was slow to act an d as a result many were infected before they responded in strength reducing the rate of transmission of this disease.

The White House still is not pushing the idea of staying at home, not going to restaurants, not going to bars. Until now the focus by the White House has been the impact on the economy.

I am very disheartened by the lack of serious response to what may well be the worse disease to hit the US since polio or HIV.

Oh yeah, we need more hand sanitizers at Walmart. Let's keep our prioritie s straight.

Social distancing is the one big thing that we can all do to help slow the spread of this disease. Stay at home and avoid contact with others except for essential activities like getting food. No one in Wuhan is worried abo ut not going to work. If they leave their homes they may be arrested. Tha t is the right way to handle this disease. We simply won't be willing to d o that until many thousands are already infected and thousands have died. Do we really have to repeat the mistakes of others to learn from them?

The link that Win provided has all the facts and info you need to understan d this. I encourage everyone to share this with your friends and anyone el se who will listen. Our government is hamstrung by our leaders and simply won't be doing what is needed until it is far too late.

3d9cd99ca
--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C
|_|O|_|
Reply to
Dan Purgert

What is your deal with the hand sanitizer machines at Walmart?

I only mentioned in another thread that the one outside my local Walmart wasn't working. My point being: Maybe Walmart hadn't really thought it through. (Maybe they just stuck it out front and patted themselves on the back - Good job!) ? IDK.

In sort of the same ways that cellphone carriers put generator hook-ups at cell sites, but then don't warehouse enough generators to power all of them when needed, or have a sustainable re-fueling plan in place.

Walmart aside, I am tempted to start a separate thread about whether or not those battery-operated hand sanitizer dispensers are even responsibly engineered in the first place. (That's a serious question, BTW.)

What I mean by that....

It is responsible that they only hold a certain amount of product, and that amount may not be enough to get through the day without constant re-filling?

Or, that (if reports are to be believed) that they may not dispense enough product on an individual-use basis to actually be useful?

Or, that they run on batteries that might not be able to run all day (likely depending on duty cycle, re-charge, or battery replacement requirements? Maybe they should have been AC-powered, or have the option for a larger battery, or have more efficient motors? Or...?

Personally, I probably wouldn't have thought much about it until this whole Coronavirus thing happened. But now, I wonder whether those dispensers really are responsibly engineered in the first place, or are they just window dressing?

Maybe it's the wrong tool for the job at hand.

Reply to
mpm

I think you just answered your own question about "What is your deal with the hand sanitizer machines at Walmart?" Only the question is directed to YOU and YOUR deal.

There is no point in responding to anything in most of your posts. If you were willing to actually discuss things and try to understand what others are saying, fine. But I see little evidence of that.

The whole topic of Walmart hand sanitizers is an example of not only poor thinking, but clearly worrying about matching the color of your socks as you run out of your house to head to the bomb shelter.

Whatever...

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

I really doubt that they were designed for the number of users they are seeing a day. Most people never use them, during normal times. If you find one that isn't working, report it to the Store Manager.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

What is "Social Media Distancing" ?

Does Facebook spread disease? SED is anti-social media, so it must be safe.

The cork popped merrily, and Lord Peter rose to his feet.
"Bunter", he said, "I give you a toast. The triumph of Instinct over Reason"
Reply to
jlarkin

YES... brain rot! Sort of like mad cow disease?

SED is anti-social media, so it must be

Reply to
Bill Martin

Well, speaking of "poor thinking", at least I know that you can't elevate yourself by knocking down others, no matter how hard you practice.

(Maybe I don't wear socks, or own a bomb shelter.)

Now, do you want to discuss those non-functional hand sanitizer dispensers at Walmart or not? :)

Reply to
mpm

re seeing a day. Most people never use them, during normal times. If you fi nd one that isn't working, report it to the Store Manager.

Yes, I agree. That does sounds like the most logical answer. A combination of lack of foresight from the dispenser design team, and not enough diligence from the store.

The topic appeals to me because I wonder if I would have even remotely cons idered these outcomes myself, if I had been on the design team of those dis pensers? I'm pretty conservative in my designs, as are most engineers - bu t would I have spotted this? IDK.

Reply to
mpm

are seeing a day. Most people never use them, during normal times. If you find one that isn't working, report it to the Store Manager.

t enough diligence from the store.

nsidered these outcomes myself, if I had been on the design team of those d ispensers? I'm pretty conservative in my designs, as are most engineers - but would I have spotted this? IDK.

I doubt that anyone had this level of scare in mind when they were desig ned. If they were built to handle it, they would likely have a five gallon bucket of sanitizer along with a truck battery to let it last for a week at a time.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Did i not say that the 0.01% of the bugs NOT destroyed are dangerous by definition? And what about the other concerns regarding Triclosan?

Reply to
Robert Baer

All I really "know" about Triclosan is that it takes a long time to work. By that, I mean: a much longer period of time than could be expected for the average user to use the product.

I think I read that in regards to toothpaste.

Hummmm..... now, all of the sudden, I feel this tremendous urge to go brush my teeth! :)

Reply to
mpm

Don't forget anti-social people. They have to practice anti-social distancing.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in news:r500ee$h9m$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

So, they go around kissing and hugging... like 1/x.

Can we integrate negative values?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Lots of engineers are already socially distanced

Reply to
bitrex

batteries only need to last until the bag/tank of sanitiser is empty

My money is on operator error... but from an engineering standpoint why not have foot operated dispensers?

--
  Jasen.
Reply to