Smith Chart Tutorial

The hardware architecture often isn't anything that exciting... but the algorithms and software can be quite intriguing -- there's some amazing things people can do with error correction and getting incredibly close to Nyquist limits.

Yeah, but satellites are filling the same roll of being able to provide communications when ground-based infrastructure is taken out... and -- unlike HF -- the limit to a satellite's bandwidth is largely dictated only by how big your wallet is.

It's kind of an odd world for hams who want to help out in diasters these days anyway... some government agencies embrace them, some just ignore them, and some are actively hostile towards them. Some of the later is probably due to some officials just not knowing what hams can do for them -- just as word processors largely replaced secretaries, Blackberries have largely replaced the the radio man.

HF is still quite cool, though -- I hope that kids today can appreciate that while, yeah, a run-of-the-mill cell phone gets you a megabit-per-second Internet connection, a camera, and voice communications, it relies on a truly massive infrastructure, and yet with not much more RF power than what a cell phone produces you can --often-- communicate to the other side of the planet with no additional infrastructure whatsoever.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

.... ..

.-- --.. -.... .-. ... -

.--- .. --

-- "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

java needs to be enabled...

- Michael Wieser

Reply to
Michael Wieser

Nope. The only time I've drilled into a tile floor was to install pipes (laundry). There weren't any pipes in there to hit, yet. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Installing new toilets is always a white-knuckle act. 10mm hammer drill, rat-tat-tat, waiting for an evil hiss.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That stuff is very thick, it's usually not rolled up but the canvas is folded in a way that the window lays flat.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg
[snip]

??? You mean a new location without a drain already in place ???

Is your house slab-on-ground, or is there a crawl space?

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

So far what I have seen is freaking expensive and a power hog, mostly on account of an expensive ADC and a fat DSP.

Well, after the most recent head-on collision in orbit I would not really want to count on that. All it takes is a shred of this debris showing up in the wrong place at the wrong time and ... *KAPOOF* ... "no signal"

What we need is a clean-up program like on highways, "adopt an orbit" :-)

They usually experience their first dose of reality when on a back country hike or when visiting uncle Leroy at his cabin and the cell phone shows zero bars the whole time. Providers won't install a cell tower in Outer-Podunkia if the number-crunchers don't show a cushy profit margin in due course.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Hmm, I didn't know they issued WZ6 prefixes. But it's nice that you can request vanity callsigns with your company letters in there. Most countries won't do that, you just get whatever is next.

--
--... ...-- , Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Power consumption is definitely not a strong point of most SDRs, true, although often it's "good enough" -- cell phones now do their modulation and demodulation in a big DSP, after all. (In fact... the TI TMS320C54xx line of DSPs began their life after Nokia, I think it was, specifically asked them to cook up a "low power" DSP.)

That's why you need lots of them -- redundancy for those "big oops" moments. :-)

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Ok, I know the troubles that they went in to to try and add a Smith chart output to Probe. Mohi and I really wanted it, but it was too 'RF' for most of the guys, so, after working on it for a while, they gave it up.

It is available as an output to Microwave Office, though... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Jeorg, Try Lowes or Home Depot. They sell it as cheap window glass like replacements, in sizes to like 4'x4', or even larger. Used a 3'x3' sheet to make the door to the entertainment center in the bedroom. Just spray painted the back of the door with blue spray paint to get the color the boss wanted. Remotes even still work through the door!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

Oh, you need the flexible stuff. Ok, then not Lowes. Their's is stiff like glass...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

We had wall-hung toilets. Very hard to get, shoddy quality was delivered (and promptly sent back), plus wall-hung in a wood-frame house is IMHO a rather daft idea in the first place. So I replaced with floor-mount back discharge. Very slim pickens, too, and delivery number seven (!) arrived in decent quality and not broken to shards. Sloppy packaging alone has cost them dearly, they made a serious loss with us. Call it a "learning phase" :-)

These must be bolted down in back _and_ on the floor. The real fun sets in when you hit a large pebble. This concrete wasn't meant to be drilled through.

Raised foundation, two-by-twelve beams so the house survives WW-3, plywood, Visqueen, 2" concrete on top of that. In this concrete are radiant heat copper tubes. A previous owner had the boiled ripped out and cut the tubes flush at the basement (#@%^!!).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Mohi is a neat guy. I recently exchanged E-mails with him, and sent him the questions you couldn't answer ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Oopsie... I always DID get the X and the Z transposed.

It is WX6RST, which combines two of my passions ... WX is the aviation abbrvtn for weather and RST is (as you know) readability, strength, and tone on CW. We chose those letters on purpose 37 years ago.

My sequential call from 1960 or so was WB6BHI (Who Brought 6 Broads Here Indecently) but I decided to vanity it up about ten years ago. My ex-XYL's call was KB6QBV (quiet blonde virgin) but she didn't much care for those phonetics.

Jim

-- "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Go to a "teacher store". They make a compass with the "point" out of hard rubber and the "pencil" end adapted to a whiteboard marker. You can do it in lots of colors and then just erase it.

Jim

-- "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." --Aristotle

">>Which reminds me: Where can one buy that hard clear plastic, 12mils or a

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

I remember those, in my case they had rubber cups for the pivot. But they are HUGE, not quite suitable for cabin baggage.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Besides, if they didn't want you bringing a protractor before, I can only imagine how they'd react to something like that!

By the way, about two years ago I was traveling from Oregon to California by air. I was kind of late getting ready and made a bee-line to the airport. I grabbed my jacket (I live on an active farm with coyote problems) and headed out. I was picked up by my client at the airport and brought to my desk area where I was to work for about a week's time down there.

It was about 9:30AM and I took off my jacket and placed it on the chair. But I noticed that the jacket was a bit heavy and I figured I'd better dump out the pockets and put the contents in a small box so that things didn't fall all over the place on accident, later on. In doing that I pulled out nine completely functional rifle shells with lead bullets.

You can imagine my shock. That coat had been layed on the conveyor at the airport and x-rayed. I had this sudden nightmare of what would have happened to me has they actually noticed the bullets there. I'd probably have been slammed in some tiny corner without representation from a laywer until the current administration was voted out!

Anyway, since I'd only just arrived at the business and the boss there had only just brought me in and was still standing there next to me (he knew there was no way I could have faked this), I dumped out the bullets for everyone to see! Pretty nifty reactions from that.

As a post-script, on the return flight a week later on, I took along a new set of specialized screwdrivers, pliers and wrenches I'd seen down in the bay area at a deep discount place for electronics miscellania. Decided to just put it in my bags and scan it through. (I got rid of the bullets, of course.) It was so cheap and I was willing to let them keep it if there was a problem. No problems. Just went right through the scanner and no one ever bothered me about it.

Things change, of course. And my experiences might have only been local to Portland (PDX) and Santa Clara and only for that week or two of time. But there it is. I still have a hard time with the idea that I brought across 9 large bullets in a coat pocket that I'd laid out on the conveyor. I have to imagine that their shape was unmistakable and the lead bullets are pretty much the easiest case for blocking xrays. Oh, well.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Last year I went thru PHX security, flying to SAN, inadvertently carrying a rather large metallic corkscrew.

They didn't notice it.

When I unpacked my bag at the hotel, I had the "holy shit" moment as you did ;-)

I had a secretary at the client's UPS it back to me, fearing SAN security might be more thorough.

...Jim Thompson