"Small" (physical size) thumb drives

Offhand, that sounds like a counterfeit flash drive. However, the few counterfeits that I've purchased (usually on eBay) usually had something really gross wrong with them, such as claiming to be a 64GB drive, when it would hold only 2GB. Still, it's possible that there's a quality issue with whatever you're using.

That sounds like spare blocks being depleted.

Reading from flash is never a problem. It's writing that eventually kills them. In order to write one lousy byte, the controller on the USB drive needs to read an entire block (size varies with device), erase the block, change one byte in the block, and write the entire block. That's why reading flash is quite fast, but writing is much slower. In other words, don't worry about reading.

That's another way to kill flash drives. See: 5.1 Erase before Write Sandisk erases one block at a time (4MBytes) and writes one page (16KBytes) at a time. So, if your data logger slooooowly writes one byte of data every few seconds, the flash drive will need to erase

4MBytes every second, and write 16KBytes every second. Even if succeeding writes are to sequential bytes, it will still require 16,000 erases and writes to completely write 16KBytes of data at 1 byte per second.

Well, actually it's not that awful. If the writes arrive quickly, the flash controller will buffer the writes, and wait for a convenient time to flush the buffer in one big write. The idea is not to buffer the data for too long before flushing. That's why I specified one byte per second. That's much slower than the normal buffer flush timeout.

Incidentally, if all you want is something that doesn't stick out too far, think about a right angle USB adapter like these: Something like this: which seems somewhat low profile. Of the 90 degree flavor, there are

4 different orientations, so be careful when ordering. I have one of these on a laptop where I use the USB drive for a data drive (so that no live data remains on the laptop in case it's stolen). The right angle adapter isn't perfect, but at least it fits in the laptop bag without (much) snagging.
--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Doubtful. I'd be hard to convince that a firm like Costco would be taken in by a counterfeit supplier. To them (unlike many other firms), their name/reputation is *everything*!

Yet, there remains (advertised) "unused space" on the drive!

No. Reading affects "adjacent" cells causing them to lose their intended contents (it's called "read disturb"). As such, unless the controller is aware of exactly which "adjacent cells" are likely to be affected -- and, takes measures to ensure that their contents aren't corrupted as a side-effect of other "nearby" READ operations, the adjacent cells need to also be "refreshed" -- rewritten to restore their contents before they are irretrievably corrupted.

See above.

As I said, "depending on how often those are FLUSHED TO THE MEDIUM..." (most file systems have significant internal buffers to minimize the number and frequency of transactions with the actual media).

BTW, I never said it was a "data logger". Rather, that it maintains logs of its own operations (which, of necessity, must be in a writeable store).

Ideally, I don't want *anything* on the outside. But, the only practical connections to which bulk media could be attached are the (external) USB connectors (there are none, internally), an internal SATA connector for a

2.5" drive or a special internal SATA connector for a SATA NVRAM device.
Reply to
Don Y

like this?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

No, more like the unit on the left:

(And I'm not even sure *it* is physically small enough to fit in the space available!)

Reply to
Don Y

Yep! I checked the first couple of links that Jeff Liebermann posted and they were pretty much what I remember.

Costco probably doesn't order them from PFDF574, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there is another layer between them and SanDisk. SanDisk has (had?) a serial number checker on their site that would give you a first cut on whether it was a genuine product or not.

The more that people try to come up with wonderful filesystems for big portable media, the more I find that just formatting it to FAT32 and eating the capacity loss will give me a drive that actually works when I plug it into whatever random computer is available.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

Like this perhaps? 8-128GB.

-- Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com

150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I noticed. Amazing to think there can actually be a bit of *kit* in there alongside the card itself! X-/

Dunno. The beauty of Costco is "no questions asked" -- they just replaced on the spot.

Yes, I've noticed that NTFS formatted devices tend to refuse to eject ("device is busy") -- even when nothing is apparently referencing it! This is not true of FAT32 devices.

In my case, it'll be FFS and never "ejected", etc.

I'm first going to explore cutting down my "storage requirements" and then see if I can just load the necessary executables into RAM and let them sit there, forever.

Reply to
Don Y

Pictured is an MSATA device (though they appear to indicate Half-Slim SATA is also available).

But, even the standard HS parts are too "tall".

Imagine the power/data cable for a SATA drive soldered *directly* to a PCB (i.e., fingers pointing skyward). Float this PCB in a shallow box (2" tall). By the time you allow for the space beneath the PCB, PCB thickness, maximum penetration into the SATA connector and some clearance on the "top edge" of the module, you're down to about 1++" from the modules fingers to its back (top) edge.

(I can probably squeeze 1.25--" into the case if I take special care not to let the top cover rub against the top edge of the module when sliding it on)

It would be easier to use a 2.5" SSD and mount it *as* an internal disk.

The thumb drive appeal is they are far more of "commodity" parts.

Reply to
Don Y

More like:

Reply to
Don Y

On Tue, 26 May 2015 01:23:50 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@att.net Gave us:

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've read that someone would do in a long time.

Nobody "tried to come up with" anything ya dolt.

IF the system "sees" it as a hard drive, then the OPERATOR can use ANY format the OS can handle. That pretty much rules Microslut out.

FAT32 is lame, and quite old. Where have you been?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Mon, 25 May 2015 19:12:59 -0700, Don Y Gave us:

Look at M.2 They can be almost as small as your thumbnail.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

well, actually OSX and Linux have no problems with ExFat. Win too should have no problem with that.

It could be that your lame camera formatted it incorrectly...

Bye Jack

--
Yoda of Borg am I! Assimilated shall you be! Futile resistance is, hmm?
Reply to

I got a few of them: http://173.224.223.62/usbsd.jpg

The first two are outside loading; so you can change uSD without unplugging it from the USB socket. The last two are inside loading, and with activit y LED. The LED is very helpful in not powering down or unplugging it while active. Unfortunately, i can no longer find the LED version on ebay. See ms like they made one batch and disappeared.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

I see you have the same problem I have with close-in ("macro") photography! :>

I suspect there may be some appeal, there, for folks using them as "card readers" (?). But, don't see any value to that for "thumb drive replacements"...

In my application, it would be problematic to ensure the device wasn't being accessed. Easier to just shut down the machine and pull the drive safe in the knowledge that it *can't* be accessed!

Unfortunately, most of my micro SD cards are small-ish (1G) as I don't really have anything that relies on them for bulk storage. I'll see what options that gives me along with rearranging my requirements to move towards smaller images... maybe just leave an image memory resident and skip the "secondary storage" requirement entirely!

Reply to
Don Y

On Tue, 26 May 2015 14:49:35 +0200, snipped-for-privacy@disney.com (Jack) Gave us:

As if I give a fat flying f*ck what you do with your filter file, idiot.

You announcing it is even more lame.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That only makes sense. The Logitech mouse I recently bought has no place to store the dongle. They say you can just leave it in the computer. I used to do that with my previous laptop but it ended up ripping the pocket in my laptop bag. I wonder if Logitech ever asked any of their customers what they preferred.

What's not compatible with USB2?

--

Rick
Reply to

The solution to THAT is simple: get a Bluetooth mouse, the 'dongle' is already built-in. Usually. Well, it is on most of my computers...

Reply to
whit3rd

The selection of bluetooth mice is a lot more limited and I have never had much confidence in them. Every other bluetooth device I use has issues connecting to the PC reliably. I have a bt speaker that periodically fails to connect and I have to play with the PC software to get it working again. At least once I had to do a number of reboots to get it working again. The touchpad is disabled because of palm touch problems so I would be fu*ked if the BT mouse didn't work.

I assume the problem is in the BT stack in the PC. Any idea what is up with that? I even had similar problems with a BT GPS on a Palm PDA back in the day.

--

Rick
Reply to

I too had big troubles with BT but then again I once had problems with USB, too. I've never had any problems with BT on my iPod and on the later PCs, no problems either. The BT mouse I bought for my ThinkPad tablet (bought for the reasons noted here) works great. You're right though, the BT mouse pickings aren't great. I'd never have bought the mouse if it weren't BT. It was expensive and has a weird feel.

Reply to
krw