Small heaters

I read it, then was surprised to learn that it was from a US company. Why was it not proof read by a native English speaker?

Maybe it's the Zanussi effect - an Italian manufacturer rumoured to have chosen a Japanese sounding name so as to associate themselves with quality.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

On a sunny day (Fri, 14 Feb 2014 15:18:58 +0000) it happened Syd Rumpo wrote in :

My zanussi washing machine lasted >20 years. I bought a whirlpool US made? a few years back, and it broke down with a 100 Euro repair 3 month after guarantee ended. Next one will be Zanussi again.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I don't know why you would have thought that Whirlpool was known for reliability. Seems that you didn't do your homework.

Reply to
krw

Den fredag den 14. februar 2014 18.57.41 UTC+1 skrev snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz:

and unless it prominently says otherwise they might both be made in the same factory in China ...

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

It figures that you would guess such things. Facts evade you lefties.

Reply to
krw

them.

handle

just

Using

bad.

0.1

mil traces.

Please check if it is kapton or kynar, big difference in the thermal conductivity. Kynar should be ok.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Yup. Lower thermal resistance at the expense of lower electrical resistance.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

On a sunny day (Fri, 14 Feb 2014 12:57:41 -0500) it happened snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote in :

My homework in this case was following the advice as it was rated 'good buy' or something by the 'consumentenbond', that is the countries consumer organization, that is supposed to test these things. I canceled my subscription to them long time go for other bad advice, but now it seems their technical advice is shit too. In Germany the ADAC (auto club) is now under fire for falsifying voting results that made some German cars the best, and falsifying the number of votes casted (multiplied by ten). So it seems here politics and greed have replaced technology too. Its a pity for the smaller manufacturers who make better products, as they do not have the money or political lobbying to get good reviews. It has for example been found that Samsung falsified an hired people to post online positive reviews of their own products. So who can you trust? You cannot take a machine apart yourself before buying in the shop, hey some websites do not even show products, but just the box... :-)

But, hey for 1000 Euro (hint hint) I will say Whirlpool is the BEST deal I ever had,.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Fri, 14 Feb 2014 15:15:35 -0800 (PST)) it happened Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote in :

It is very possible these were made in the Netherlands locally, just like some Tek scopes were, and then likely in what once was a Philips factory. Shipping these big things (washing machines) is expensive.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

"Consumer organizations" are notoriously bad references for such things.

Surprise, surprise. Incompetent (or worse) in one critical task and they're found to be incompetent (or worse) in others. Who wudda thunk.

...(or worse)

Certainly not one place. Major purchases require more than ten minutes to research. Sometimes that fails but Whirlpool? Really?

Then you're happy. Why the bitching about them?

Reply to
krw

Nah Kapton. I don't think Minco wants to deal with me. (Our volume is too small.) They have a minimum order of $250 for parts in stock and $1000 for non-stock. The heaters I wanted are ~$30 each in 1-25 quants. They had four in stock and I asked if they could sample me one or sell me the four for ~$120. Nope.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Hi, Joseph. i'm not "seeing" what you are talking about. But don't bother explaining more. I may indeed end up just using a resistor for the heater. (or winding my own with heater wire.) Re: rtd's. Well this needs to read temperature from 77K to 400K. (I don't know of an rtd that works over that range.) (Oh sorry digikey reminds me that platinum rtd's would work...but forget that!)

Thanks for your thoughts, George H.

Reply to
George Herold

non-stock.

stock and I asked if they could sample me one or sell me the four for ~$120. Nope.

OK. Let's try a different approach. A small copper foil with an array smt resistors stood end on, several small wires from the foil to the current and small wires on the far ends of the resistors mount to the plastic fixture structure (something like a "C" clamp). Small wire gauge thermisters (or smt rtds) for sensors on each side of the sample.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Several late entries, possibly irrelevant:

Heating Pad - 5x15cm ($5)

Heating Pad - 5x10cm ($4)

The comments under the larger pad rate it at 0.7A/5v or about 3.5 watts and about 7 ohms.

This one at 20W would be over-kill:

Heating Panel - 12V (4" x 2")

Hope this helps...

Frank McKenney

--
  [W]hile there are probably as many reasons why people move to the
  country as there are people, I believe one reason is that there's

  There are other paths to pursue to add challenge to one's life, of
  course.  The farming life is just one -- a very special one -- of
  those paths, and it is, like all paths of challenge, not about the
  destination but the journey.

                  -- Suzanne McMinn / Chickens in the Road
Reply to
Frnak McKenney