Slowing solenoid action?

Better a felt pad to protect the button, and another to cushion the solenoid shaft stop to prevent the thunk.

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

On a sunny day (Sun, 27 Oct 2019 20:49:23 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Rick C wrote in :

Yes, good idea Bought some new furniture at Ikea and have been adding those felt pads just last week to the chair legs. Also bought this chair there:

it does not need those pads, and is what I use now for working on a bench with electronics. swing around :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Adjustable air dashpots were common in Broadcast tape machines to control force and to set the timing. A needle type valve allowed you to set it to the desired action. They were quite reliable. I never saw a bad one.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

snip

a simple fanblade type might suffice here. Or if it's a one off, a dashpot from a cassette player door.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I doubt you'll find a 24V device, and it would probably be too slow, but a wax motor may work. They're often used in dishwashers instead of a solenoid.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Wow, what a concept. $12 as a replacement part, and with nice mechanical mounting features. But, oops, do they run on low-voltage DC, or 120Vac?

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

AIUI, generally 120/240V using a PTC thermistor as a self-regulating heater, but it seems you can quite easily disassemble and replace the thermistor with a lower resistance type.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

Thanks all, rich seam of ideas to consider there!

BTW, no access to bypass the button, or I'd have gone that route. It's on a Polaroid CUBE:

I'm going to revisit the solenoid, with damping initially and then maybe play with PWM. But favourite is the servo, as the Arduino code is working for the first stage of the project, pressing the button for 3 s to power up the CUBE. I'm looking forward to getting off the PC and playing with linkage methods.

Size and weight are obvious factors. My servo's height to top of rotor is about 3 cm. Solenoid is four time larger and probably ten times heavier. CUBE is about 45 gm and sides are 3 cm.

Prize for the most novel has to be the wax motor. But at 120/240V and with an operating time measured in secs not ms, I think not.

(try t ~ 4 mins).

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

while still

rm button.

delivers

researched

ng a sketch

it

ough an

is the plunger not pressed against the button when it is off? iow is it hit ting the button instead of pressing the button?

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

During testing with the solenoid a few days ago I had a rubber grommet between the plunger and the hard plastic button of the CUBE (shown in my screenshot yesterday). But the thunk was still unacceptably aggressive and noisy.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Oh, I didn't realize this is what you wanted.

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

id while still

firm button.

hat delivers

or researched

oding a sketch

.

ng it

lthough an

hitting the button instead of pressing the button?

tween the

esterday).

That's because you want something less springy and more absorbant like felt .

I'm just sayin'...

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

On a sunny day (Tue, 29 Oct 2019 06:18:23 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Rick C wrote in :

That is fun ;-)

I was wondering if I had to solve it from the junk box would take some old relay, normally energized, then add a pin from the moving part, so when it is de-energized it pushes:

^ | | ----- / | | / [ / ] coil | | spring not drawn, not to scale ============

small distance, little force, hardly any noise, Disadvantage powered when off. Maybe latching relay...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

+1

remove the dead space between the plunger and the button

makolber