Explain rattlesnake egg magnet action

When two flat magnets clap together, it is usually a very singular collision event.

When two round or egg shaped magnets collide together, they bounce several times before resting mated.

I suspect it is because of the non-axial magnetization, and single point of contact.

Bouncy, bouncy, bouncy.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

basic material physics.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Which NT can't point to and almost certainly doesn't understand.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

You are a basic idiot.

The topic is explain, not perform a ZERO point pontification.

You could be a bit more bent, but this makes one doubt that you even know any 'basic physics' at all.

The kicker is that you have probably never seen them before.

Why couldn't you have made an actual proper response?

Oh that's right... you are stupid enough to think that you actually did.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Magnetic attraction scales as the inverse cube and for flat pole pieces that allows a lot of attractive grip force over the area in contact.

A spherical magnet can only touch another at a point. Surface curvature means that most of the magnetic circuit is still air gapped. This weaker net attractive force dependence and the elastic stored energy from the impact allows it to bounce. The balls will also spin so that their opposite poles align to each other in the final state.

All bets are off if the collision is so violent as to shatter it. Ceramic Nd magnets have a nasty habit of attracting each other fast enough to shatter or nip fingers if used carelessly.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

--------------------------------------

** Think this guy is stealing my material ....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I thought it was... "Well, when a boy magnet and a girl magnet like each other very much...."

Reply to
mpm

Sure. It's easy to spew insults.

Reply to
jlarkin

As you persistently remind us.

Of course an accurate description may be experienced as insulting by the person being described.

Donald Trump tells us that he is a stable genius, and John Larkin tells us that he does insanely good circuit design. They both seem to feel insulted by more realistic appraisals.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

His "basic" answer is an insult to this group and all in it.

Nice try, Johnny.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

....and, naturally, you ALSO did not address. Now, i will freely admit "I do not know", and at minimum you should have sad that. I am guessing that the answer is "I suspect it is because of the non-axial magnetization, and single point of contact."

Reply to
Robert Baer