Slightly O/T: availability of SMD connectors

We have an existing product using a through-hole pcb assembly which we are considering replacing with SMD on the next prod run, but with one complication - one side of the new board has to mount hard up against the product's plastic case so there can be no through-hole leads and all soldering must be on the component side. Only tracks can be on the other side.

Before embarking on the layout "conversion" I am having trouble finding surface-mount replacements for one area. The T-H design uses a D connector, which at a pich could be hand-soldered "topside" with the leads cut short, but that is a s##t of a way to do production. If an IDC style D connector is employed, we are hunting for a surface-mount IDC transition, and last time I went hunting for those I found they were unobtainium.

A similar problem faces us on the replacement of the DC input receptacle, which is a common/standard 2.5mm concentric type.

Has anyone travelled this path before and found a way to surmount (ouch!) these obstacles?

Reply to
stumped

ation -

tic

he

ctor,

, but

is

e I

which

these

SM DC coaxial connectors are available from Rapid Electronics here in the UK. You should be able to find something similar.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Beware, Tyco's web page is extremely slow.

-- Mark

Reply to
qrk

-

There are SMT versions of "D" connectors, but i think you may never see IDC type "D in SMT as that appears to be a mechanical contadiction. IDC connectors are meant to be mounted on a panel or in a connector housing (for a cable). Kobiconn makes SMT DC power jacks.

Reply to
Robert Baer

complication -

which

these

You may have misunderstood. We envisaged either an SMD 'D' or using an IDC 'D' ribboned to an SMD IDC transition. The isusue is that whichever of those route we choose, the device connecting to the board needs to be SMD.

Tnx.

Reply to
stumped