Quality in SD Card Connectors?

Got a project coming up that will most likely use a removable standard-size SD card. Other than gold contacts (I assume?), what else should I be look ing for in terms of quality and long-life (and possibly not a sheltered lif e at that, but will be indoor "NEMA-1 type" conditions, loosely speaking).

I envision this card may get removed and reinserted frequently, thus, my qu estion.

All the ones I've seen so far are surface mount, and haven't found any pane l mount ones yet either. I mention panel mount because that way, if one ev er did fail in the field, we could just ship out another module. (The end product, once installed... is well... installed!) :) And I allude to "thr ough-hole" because, generally speaking, in my experience connectors exposed to the force of human hands have a tendency to survive longer when they ar e soldered through-hole, rather than surface mount. (But I've never seen a through-hole SD card connector -- so maybe they don't even exist.)

I suppose any grade SD card connector could be arranged in such as way (dau ghterboard, perhaps?) as to be readily replaced should it ever fail. Just replace the whole daughterboard. But either way, I'd still like to hear so me views and experiences about using SD card connectors in products general ly. The good and the bad, and what to look out for when specifying one. T here are nearly 250 different varieties in-stock at Digikey, so there must be some differences. (?) Thanks!!

Reply to
mpm

We like these ones: CON MICRO SD CARD HINGED TYPE SMT 0472192001 Molex $0.60708 @ qty 800

They have good vibration immunity and you can't just pull the card out, as you can when using all the push-push actuated ones we've tried.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs