Simulator of choice?

Let the sim wars begin.. How about every vendor have a simulator! :P LT, TI, National, AD..etc...

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Because they sold ewb to me with "lifetime upgrades", then changed the name to worm out. And because they screwed up the transmission line model, assured me they'd fix it if I upgraded to the new name for $400, and it wasn't fixed.

John

I used to run ECA under DOS, a non-Spice simulator. It was blinding fast even on a 486 and almost always converged, cruising right through divide-by-zero errors and such. The exe was 173K.

John

National has the online WebBench, which is horrible.

John

They're all out of the same scum mold. PSpice sucked numerous years of "maintenance" out of me without fixing about a half dozen definite bugs.

Of course I've figured out work-arounds for all the bugs and added features of my own ;-)

This year I said, "'nough", and paid no more.

...Jim Thompson

Ditto us and Pads.

Funny, LT Spice is free, and so is support!

John

John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

The next thing to ask them is to add is all of the publicly available device models. I understand that there may be some "redistribution issues" until the providers wake up.

Reply to
JosephKK

John Larkin snipped-for-privacy@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Mine dates back th the early 8088/8087 days. I also have a 80386 EMS/XMS version suited for 4 whole MB of ram. As i said an old DOS version.

Reply to
JosephKK

Just download them yourself.

...Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Part of the concept here is that they do it once per three months, using maybe 50 hours, rather than you, me the other Jim, both Johns, Win, Vlad, Joerg, Jan, Ken, Phil, Tim W, Sphero, and a shitpot full of others each doing the same at the same frequency. And it is not the download time so much as the search time.

Reply to
JosephKK

[snip]

My point was that, for LTspice to do the distribution, they'd need copyright authorization, while none is required for an individual download.

...Jim Thompson

The problem is that many CAD vendors don't do such a good job of producing and cataloging their own symbols and footprints for "run of the mill" parts... do you really want to trust them with SPICE models as well? I'm all for the vendors doing this, it's just that I know I'd be checking each and every model for the first many dozens to make sure they did it correctly...

I've posted before about one CAD vendor's library where the holes for

0.1"-spaced square 25mil pin dual-row headers connectors were something like 32mils... whoever did the footprint had forgotten to take into account that a square 25mil pin was going to require at least a 36mil hole to fit at all... oops!
Reply to
Joel Koltner

Hi Jim, Well, I know that one vendor no longer has anyone around you can bug for help... ;-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

[snip]

It does not follow that I will not bug you anyway ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Charlie -- you retired from Cadence? Wow... you should write a book -- or at least a web page -- about your experiences there. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

JosephKK wrote:

Pretty sure JT is not talking about

JeffM

Jim Thompson snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Hmmmm. I thought spice was redistributable under the BSD license. After all, it is not called Berkeley SPICE for nothing.

Reply to
JosephKK

Joel Koltner snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

It was designed for an interference "press fit".

Reply to
JosephKK

JeffM jeffm snipped-for-privacy@email.com posted to sci.electronics.design:

Well perhaps Jim will tell us on the morrow.

Reply to
JosephKK

^^^^^ I don't use a simulator. I have paper. :^)

Tim

Tim Williams