Simple switching question

Hello,

I need to switch 5V at a variable load (Something between 100 and

900mA).

I only have 5V at my disposal, and the load must be run at 5V, that is, there can be no appreciable voltage drop across the switching device. (I guess a drop of less than 0.4V would be fine)

I was thinking that I could use a transistor to do it, and I grabbed a couple of TIP31s. I read here:

that when saturated, the Vce would be zero, but the datasheet for the TIP31, and my own test shows that this is not the case.

What's the best way to do this?

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
ddayon

Use a logic-level MOSFET.

https://ec.irf.com/v6/en/US/adirect/ir?cmd=eneNavigation&N=0+4294841672

Or a BJT:

http://www.zetex.com/3.0/3-3-2b.asp?rid=1

or a relay:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=1049448;keywords=relay

JF
Reply to
John Fields

If I use a logic level JFET, the Vgs will be zero for any load within my range if I wire it like so:

Gate: My microcontroller Drain: Load (Load then goes to 0V) Source: 5V

Right?

(Fast switching fortunately isn't a concern, so I should be OK with driving this from a microcontroller, correct?)

2
Reply to
ddayon

--- Yes, for a low-side switch, and please bottom-post.

You basically have two choices, depending on whether you want to/have to high-side or low-side switch your load.

Low-side switching is used when one side of the load is permanently connected to its source voltage and the other side of the load is connected to ground through the switch, like this: (View in Courier)

5V>--------+ | [LOAD] | D µCOUT>---G NCH S | GND>-------+

High-side switching is used when one side of the load is permanently connected to ground and the other side of the load is connected to the source voltage through the switch, like this: (View in Courier)

5V>--------+ | S µCOUT>---G PCH D | [LOAD] | GND>-------+

Note that an N-Channel MOSFET is used for the low-side switch, while a P-Channel is used for the high-side switch.

Also, be aware that a high from your µC will turn on the low side switch, while a low will turn on the high side switch.

---

--- Depends...

How often are you going to switch it and which device do you want to use?

JF

Reply to
John Fields

^^^^ Oops... high

and, Vgs won't be zero, it'll be Rds(on) * Id.

JF

Reply to
John Fields

You need a logic power FET ..