Need a switch actuated by sliding something

I need to find a N.O. switch that closes when something slides over it (in my instance, the DCEN/DCEP switch handle, big and flat). What would such a switch be called?

Ignoramus1797

None of the switches on that page would work, although they are close. The handle would slide beyond both sides of the switch.

I kind of like that idea. I will explore it a bit.

Ignoramus1797

A reed switch with a magnet on the slider is another possibility

-- Dan Hollands

Reply to
Dan Hollands

Assuming you mean that there will be physical contact then 'microswitch' is a good start. See:

for examples.

If you want to do it when the light gets blocked out then photoswitch or light-activated switch is the go.

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

is

There are bigger versions that those shown on the Mouser page(s), so searching is a good thing. Light-activation is a bit more fun, takes an amount of smarts. :-)

Cheers.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

Can you draw a picture of what you mean?

You can mount a microswitch in numerous locations/orientations so it is hard to envision what you have in mind when you say the handle would slide beyond both sides of the switch.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Picture a switch with a small ball protruding maybe 1/4 of its diameter. When an object slides over that switch, it pushes a ball inside the switch, causing it to close momentarily, until the object slides off.

It is almost a regular pushbutton switch.

Ignoramus24489

Usually this gets done with one of the microswitches already shown with a roller on the lever. Since the object usually only moves back and forth in one direction, you can get the roller pointed the right way at assembly time.

At work, there is a manual mill that has had a CNC system retrofitted to it. It has roller switches to tell the computer when various things are at the limit of their travel. These are sold as "limit switches" and are essentially the microswitches already shown, but in a more durable housing. The ones on the mill don't mind metal chips, oil, solvents, etc. They are pricey, though.

A reverse light switch from a manual transmission car might work. It might be interesting to mount on the welder, as these often have a threaded shank that screws into the transmission case.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

By "It is", do you mean, the unacceptable ones, or is that what you're actually looking for? If (B), here's a start:

Have you ever played pinball? Are you looking for the equivalent of a rollover switch?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich, Under the Affluence

the link does not work for me...

Ignoramus25589

--
And top posting doesn\'t work for the rest of us, so please bottom
post...

If your newsreader is word-wrapping, you'll have to copy and paste the wrapped chunks into your browser's address window.

Or maybe try this:

Good Luck! Rich

Rich Grise

Got it - thanks. As another poster said, you can use a microswitch with a roller on the end. Or you can do this:

Ball bearing/other suitable ball v

===============O========= -----------^- | | | MicroSwitch | | | ------------- If necessary, use a tube to hold the ball in place, weld/epoxy/affix somehow a plunger to the ball and position the u switch so that it is actuated when the lever moves.

Or just bend the microswitch actuating lever into a U shape at the end of the lever, with the U part sticking through the surface. When I faced a similar situation, I used a rollerarm micro and shaped the lever,like this:

Reply to
ehsjr