Simple design - will it work

Guys

I need to wire up a remote switch for a milling machine in my garage.

Rather than go into a lot of detail all I need to achieve is continuity betwenn A & B on the linked diagram but I can only use a momentary switch (SW1)

Can someone confirm if the planned circuit will work ie when SW1 is momentarilly closed then continuity will provided aacross A&B until the 12V power is switched off.

Also on a different topic, I need to connect a 10k pot to my inverter to vary the power output. Circuit diagram shows 3 connections,

1) +10V (Power terminal of Pot) 2) Analog frequency signal input terminal 3) 0VAnalog common point

Any idea how I identify which pin is which on my pot

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Yes, that should work as you describe, assuming the relays are correctly chosen etc.

CW clockwise end of element

WIPER

CCW counter-clockwise end

If it's a single turn pot, the wiper is usually the center pin. If it's a 3 or 10 turn panel-mounted pot, then usually the back one.

Check by using an ohmmeter. Center the shaft. (assuming a 10K pot), the two pins that measure about 10K between them are the pot "element", so the remaining pin is the wiper.

Turn the pot full clockwise. The element end that measures about zero to the wiper is the one that goes to +10. The other goes to 0V, and the wiper goes to the analog input.

On a single-turn pot, with the shaft FACING you, and pins DOWN, the three pins will (almost always) be CCW, WIPER, CW. This is so commonly known that you likely won't even find it on the datasheet.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Did you see the drawing? I make as many mistakes as the next man but IMHO the circuit wil *not* work. Pushing SW1 will activate the coils of both R1 and R2. Releasing SW1 will deactivate R1 which in turn will deativate R2.

The OP multiposted this question. I wrote a solution in SEB.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Obviously a difference of opinion on this one.

My thinking when I drew the diagram was that the output of R1 feeds back into its own coil and therefore once SW1 is pushed R1 effectively keeps itself in the activated position until the 12v supply is cut off

Be good to get clarification one way or the other though :)

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

"Jim" schreef in bericht news:4a550876$0$24976$ snipped-for-privacy@nr5-q3a.newsreader.com...

Well, enough reason to have a second look. I have to conclude that you are right so I was not. Your schematic is the same as mine on SEB (the second one) except that the +12V and GND are exchanged. Next time I'll have to look once more before writing an answer.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

That's great, thanks to you both for taking the time to reply

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Yes, I did, and yes, it wil(l).

Once R1 pulls in, the coils of both R2 and R1 are connected to +12..

Note that the direction of the current in the link above R1 is initially to the right, until R1 pulls in, then is indeterminate as long as S1 is depressed and then is to the left when S1 is released/

See it now?

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

"Spehro Pefhany" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Yes, I see. Guess I was a little bit confused by the (to me) unusual way of drawing. My solution is the same except for exchanging the power connections.

Thanks for your reaction.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter