Simple active EQ

Yup. Apply a HF-boosted thing to one end of the pot and a LF-boosted thing to the other end, and hope that the center is pretty flat.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I did. I've also worked with enough real life audio equipment to know the proportions of google results and real life are very different.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

makolber

IIRC, the squarewave response (at the middle setting) is kind of warped or wiggly looking, but approximately correct. Which implies the two poles are in about the same place, which is the right idea.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Great. It's only audio, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

People used to make center-tapped pots, which would be handy here. And there is a trick.

lunatic fringe electronics

Blasphemy! Monster will get you.

Do you mean four terminal?

Reply to
krw

No, here's the trick, which I just invented.

If R1 is lower than R2, you get a virtual center-tap, for flat response at mid-rotation, and a sort of audio taper towards the HF and LF boost points, nice and sloppy like audio people enjoy. It needs tubes, of course, preferably something awful like 6SN7s.

I have even worse ideas.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Ha, i like it. (I'd want a little more R somewhere in the LF, HF path when the pot gets to one end or 'tother.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold
[snip]

Build that up and report your results >:-} ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

| 1962 | The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

I picture the output going into an inverting opamp... summing circuit. But I've got zero playtime at the moment... If I clean out some free time I do have a couple of fun diode laser things to do... those have the potential of generating more sales. (Which is permissible fun :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You have to be careful to match the phases of the HP and LP parts, if you do not want a bump or notch at the cross-over frequency.

Google for 'crossover filter'.

--

-TV
Reply to

Yep. There was an old National booklet, IIRC called "Floobydust", that addressed how to fix that. ...Jim Thompson

Hope and Change...

Bathroom liberation. Pee free or die! Equality before the commode!

The R1 path dominates at the center position, so the phases of the HF and LF parts don't matter much.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It was in the National Audio Handbook, 1973.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Actually an old (1976) National audio applications book with a chapter "Floobydust"...

Note paragraph 5.2.2 regarding constant voltage and constant power... that's the secret to no "bumps". ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Yep, I found it. Mine is dated 1976. Cover and Floobydust first page link in a prior post.

...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Hmm OK thanks. I'm not at all an audio guy. I have done tricks, breaking up an error signal in a feed back loop to HF an LF parts and sending those to two different actuators. There I just used a single RC and sent the voltage difference across the C to the HF section and across the R to the LF. More poles would be more complicated.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The problems arise from combining two or more signals that have traveled the separate paths. As long as the separated signals do not meet after filters, everything is OK.

--

-TV
Reply to

More poles _isn't_ more complicated unless, of course, you insist on using S-K configurations >:-}

State variable configurations make it easy.

For no "bump" requires at least third-order cross-over networks. I've found fourth-order easier to implement, particularly if you want to vary the cross-over frequency with a pot. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance