Simple active EQ

I'm looking for a reference for a simple active EQ design for audio. Basically I'd like one knob that when rotated counterclockwise, say, gives bass boost and treble cut, and when rotated clockwise gives treble boost and bass cut. Maybe done with just a couple op-amp sections...

Any suggestions?

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Dual-gang pot? ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

| 1962 | The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Maybe, but likely too bulky and too costly...

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Maybe two op amps configured as high pass, low pass filters, and then a single pot with output taken from the tap as like a balance control...

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Should really control the resistance of the feedback paths for true boost/cut. Just thinking out loud

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Fig. 10.14 in Douglas Self's book "Small Signal Audio Design" seems to have what I'm looking for, it apparently is called the "Ambler active tone control circuit"

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

People used to call this a "tone control."

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Still two pots, no? You might think about something with switched cap filters.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The Ambler tilt control has only one pot.

--

-TV
Reply to

That's the word I was trying to remember... "tilt", as in a tilt equalizer. ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Ahh.. shown here?

That's kinda cute.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

How about this?

Or if you need higher resolution and sample rate add this,

Rick C
Reply to
rickman

...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

| 1962 | The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Here's one of a vintage you'd probably appreciate... :^)

I never measured the frequency response range, but I recall it sounded alright.

I suppose it's not active though. Does it have to be? Why does it matter?

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

The active Baxandall tone control - with two pots - sounds very like what you are asking for. Put the two pots on the same shaft and you'd have what you ask for.

The Peter Baxandall involved is the same guy that invented the Baxandall class-D amplifier. He was an active member of the UK audio engineering mafia, and a good mate of Peter Walker the guy that set up Quad Electroacoustics.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman

Huh, I don't really know tubes, but I can see how that works. Nice schematic. The other circuit has two poles... I'd have to make a bode plot. Mixing things with pots is kinda fun.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

'Tone' is just treble cut.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Google images for tone control circuit

There are lots of single-pot circuits, some of which do the nearly-ideal adjustable s-curve thing.

lunatic fringe electronics

Everything is possible, but IRL 'tone' on a control knob means treble cut at least 99% of the time.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Google it.